Sign in to follow this  
carverman

Water Based Dyes A Problem

I have been out of leather carving for about 12 years and so I am used to the old spirit dyes. I just started to get back into carving again and now I have to use water based dyes because I am based in California for the winter. I am having so many problems with this new dye. I just doesn't cover like the old stuff and several of my latest carvings are ruined from blotching dying.

Are there any suggestions out there?

I was thinking of trying wood stain as a dye because it has spirit base to it and if it works it is a lot cheaper to buy than what is sold leather supply places, like T__dy. Has anyone tried useing wood stain on leather?

Woodstain, unless it contains a dye in its mix, is pigment based, and will likely blotch and pile worse than it does on wood.

If you try anything made for wood, I would suggest trying Transtint from Homestead Finishes. Your major woodworking stores will carry it. It can be mixed in denatured alcohol , tap or distilled water. It is an aniline dye. I have no doubt that it will dye leather. But colorfastness lifespan, in direct sunlight, would be worth testing for some duration. the dashboard of your car is a good place for that test. Dye a piece of scrap. let it dry good, and lob it onto the dashboard.

I was at the woodworking store today and forgot to buy it. A 2oz liquid bottle will make 2 quarts at full dilution. Economical if mixed with distilled water.

Same company makes Transfast, which is a powder you mix with water to make an aniline dye. It is even less expensive.

http://www.homesteadfinishingproducts.com/htdocs/TransTint.htm

yep, the eco-foo-foo dyes are crap. And if you think the blotch is bad, run the piece under water and see what happens.

Now, the Fenice made water stains are pretty good. It's a shame they put the Feibings made eco-foo-foo labels on them, it really gave it a bad

impression with people before they even tried them. I agree spirit dyes are still the best. Make a day trip across the state border and get some.

This is just an idea and I don't have any personal experience(hopefully someone who does will chime in), but you might try airbrushing the Eco-crap on. $50 +/- at Harbor Freight might be cheaper than a drive to Nevada.