aguilerag

Making Wallets To Sell

You'll get a feel for it once you've done it more. A lot of people will want to know how much its going to cost them before they agree to it so it may take you a while to determine how long something is going to take you ahead of time.

That's where getting the baselines comes in handy. I always give people an estimate and make it clear that it could be more or less. I usually come out within an hour either direction - usually more like 30 minutes because I've really focused on how long it takes me to do different types of tooling and design complexities. But, right now I'm getting ready to start studying a lot more of Paul Burnett's victorian stuff, so any baseline I have for my tooling right now will be 100% void when doing that because I'm essentially starting over.

Billy, I would consider what you do a real job. You have a business and a shop. That to me is a real job and actually a lot harder than working for someone. I was a partner in a business out here that is still going strong but I got bought out when I went back overseas for the Military. Owning and running a business is in itself a real job, making all the things you do is a job in itself.

Its definitely a real job, I work way longer hours than I ever did before. Its way different though and doesn't feel like I'm working. I certainly do this for money but I did it because I love doing it first.

The saying "Find something you love doing and you'll never have to work a day in your life" is 100% true. I honestly never figured I'd be so lucky to find out.

That is great that at such a young age you took that plunge. We always said "Those who risk, win! Those who don't, complain"! I looked at your site and you do some very nice work. I may send some of my friends your way until I learn how to make holsters lol!!!

It was a plunge and I really had no idea if it would work or not and I really had no back up money if it didn't so I had to be making money right from the start. Just to be clear, I don't mean right from the start of doing leatherwork, just the start of going at it full time and opening the shop and store.

My friend said "well what happens if it doesn't work?" I said well then ill be in debt a fair amount and that will suck but its better than working a job I don't really like for the next 30-40 years regretting not trying to do it.

Exactly. If you don't try to do something you want to even though there is a risk you will never know if you could have ever done it.

hello, new here to this site, just wondering if anyone out there has a wallet inner pattern for a more finnished look. starting out and spent alot of money in tools, i have a disibility due to an accident in the military involving my back. and do leather work for a pass time as i can only spend limited amounts of time at it, looking for interesting and unique patterns for wallets..i dont make them to sell. i do for family and friends gifts. i know the basics in finishing leather and made wallets but would like to improve , if you guys have any patterns you would like to share, i would greatly appreciate it. have a creative and wonderful day......phil

Phil, I put the pattern for this wallet up on one of my other posts. If you want it I can put. It up again.

would be great Aguilerag, would appreciate the pattern very much..if you ever need help with anyting , just ask.. I do have a background in leather working from years ago..will let you know about my story next time..take care buddy, have a great day

Here are the patterns.

post-38210-0-82133300-1361742307_thumb.j

how do they go togeather, do you have a copy of the pattern you could send me? do you have a pic of the wallet finished? inside and outside..would help alot. thanks

I didn't think I really put anyone down from Etsy, or bashed anyone. I looked there (didn't even know what Etsy was) and saw stuff people are selling and their prices and it did make me feel not so self conscious of what I can produce. I think one of my problems is I base where I am at in leather working (beginner) to what my grandfather use to sell and I am a far ways away from that.

I figured price wise for a simple wallet like the picture I posted I would charge $40-45.

If they want one side tooled I would charge $50-55.

If they want the whole thing tooled $60-65.

Stiched or laced, finished colour, of course is up to the persons choice.

I was told that if it is a pretty intricate or super detailed design they want that I should up the charge too. Is this correct?

Not one person seemed to have a problem with that price range that wanted to order and all said they understand that since it is all hand crafted it would be a little more. Is this a good price range or should I charge less since their are still details to be fixed on the product?

Again, I appreciate all the advice that everyone has given me.

Double those prices....at least.

Kevin, first of all I would like to say I think your work is awesome!

You think I should do that now or wait till I become better?

Thanks!

If I knew then what I know now, (about pricing and what people are willing to pay) I would've been charging a lot more back then.

It's all about perceived value.

Plus, at the prices you listed, you're working for free.

Edited by Kevin King

Gotcha! I will try with the next one I get and see how it goes over.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread and the advice given. Just starting out. Making my first wallet tomorrow.

Olemanjake, good luck with the wallet. Make sure you post pics when your done so we can see

I would like nothing better than to post pictures. However, ran into some complications with my wallet: some I figured a way to overcome...but the main problem was the pre-cut materials weren't properly sized to fit.

This prompted a solution for me:

No more pre-cut/holed patterns

Get more tools

Get some more leather

These will be accomplished tomorrow. I intend to have a decent product by the end of the weekend. This was definitely a learning experience, though. As I was stitching it together I learned to properly stitch...the importance of good needles (the two I was using broke so I switched over to sewing needles which was a bad idea due to the size of the eyelets)....then the stitching material snapped (twice!)...so I learned how to cover that up...then realized I didn't have any burnishing materials handy...

Yeah. It was a learning experience for sure!