South Forty

What Kind Of Machine Do I Need To Start?

Hey All! Have been scanning this page for months now and finally decided it was time to join and be able to ask some questions frpm all the experienced craftsmen on this site rather than just searching for answers- so heres my question : I've got a Mini tack business just up and coming, and I work primarily with Biothane/Betathane. I've been hand sewing all my projects with an awl, but my hands and shoulders are saying it's time for a machine! The problem I'm having is trying to figure out WHAT kind of machine I need, nothing fancy for now, just one that'll do the job, and not give out on me 3 months down the road! Some day when I have learned more and want to move into heavier leather equipment, I'll be on the hunt for a suitable leather machine, but for now it's fairly lightweight- 1-3 layers. I have searched our local classifieds, and found an older model Singer Walking foot Industrial machine, but will this do it? Thanks for any advice!

The two machines i've found so far local are a Singer Model 314k7(Walking Foot Industrial)- which i can't seem to find any info on anywhere, and a Junker and Ruh SD 28- which I'm told needs shuttle tuning. The price difference on the two is about $300, with the Junker and Ruh being the higher of the two any thoughts on these two machines?

You're going to want a 441 clone. Short arm is reLly all you need for strap goods! You're going to want the feed dog, I run a feed dog that has teeth, that are smoothed over a bit, and I run needle for nylon, and I run a needle one size bigger than I would on leather. Save yourself, and just contact one of the dealers on here. 441's are the machine, for the price, you can't beat them!