SOB Holsters

Hybrids Holsters, Small Of Back And Hip

Not a ton of leatherwork involved in these, but what little there is I definitely enjoy! Edging, dying finishes. Hmmm where's my pic??

post-38552-0-49144400-1360905327_thumb.j

Edited by SOB Holsters

Personally I hate kydex on holsters. Your leather work looks good.

Umm thanks?

Sorry, was grumpy this morning when read this lol. What don't you like about them? I love them. They are extremely comfortable and very functional.

Sorry, I just don't like how kydex scratches up the finish on a gun. Premature ageing. It takes skill to make the leather portion of the hybrid look nice. Your leather looks good. Nice edges. Nice sewing. Good color and finish. The point I was trying to make and failed was that you did a good job on all the leather work. There isn't a lot of leather work there and some people do not take the time to do a good job on the leather. You did a good job.

Thanks for the compliment! I do probably send too much time on it, but I enjoy it and people really like the look. I haven't had any wear issues thus far. Hopefully it stays that way.

I think they look great! I really like how you incorporated the mag release cover in the kydex. I haven't payed a lot of attention to this style of holster, but I like how you've also added the retention adjustment screw - not sure how common that is, but I like it. I suggest sourcing black hardware to match the black rivets, but that's a preference really. I assume these are lined? If so, nice touch. The only other thing I'd suggest is using a different clip. Those clips are really intended to be inserted into a leather sleeve with a notch cut in the leather - that little humped portion slips into the leather notch, holding the clip in place. There's noting really wrong with the clip you're using, but to me it just stands out as "the wrong tool for the job". I don't do a lot with clips - perhaps that's the best one out there for what you're doing. Did you place a washer behind the clip to help prevent scratching of the leather? If so, another nice touch!

Thanks for the advice!

The bump looks to me like it works together with hook in the outer part if the clip to retain the belt, but I could be wrong. Just got a decent size shipment, so ill have to burn thru these fir but I will look into it.

Just that little cover on the mag release makes it almost impossible to accidently press it. Even with the holster in hand it is difficult/ flat out won't release. So pretty cool.

The retention setup only applies to the small of back holsters. The hip models have enough belt pressure for proper retention, whereas the "dip" in the small of your back does not. It's just a little added security.

They are not lined, haven't tried it but I'm sure it would create a clearance issue unless I molded the kydex over the lining and the gun. What is typically used to line holsters

There is a dyed and edge coated 1" leather disc behind each clip for spacing and "tuckability'.

And I have recently moved to black hardware, so good call!

Thanks for the advice!

The bump looks to me like it works together with hook in the outer part if the clip to retain the belt, but I could be wrong. Just got a decent size shipment, so ill have to burn thru these fir but I will look into it.

Just that little cover on the mag release makes it almost impossible to accidently press it. Even with the holster in hand it is difficult/ flat out won't release. So pretty cool.

The retention setup only applies to the small of back holsters. The hip models have enough belt pressure for proper retention, whereas the "dip" in the small of your back does not. It's just a little added security.

They are not lined, haven't tried it but I'm sure it would create a clearance issue unless I molded the kydex over the lining and the gun. What is typically used to line holsters

There is a dyed and edge coated 1" leather disc behind each clip for spacing and "tuckability'.

And I have recently moved to black hardware, so good call!

Here's a relatively good picture that shows how that bump is intended to work. Doesn't really have anything to do with the belt, though I guess that bump could help if the clip slipped up & over the edge of the belt.

hume1.jpg

Wow your workmanship is totally excellent, that is some of the best Kydex molding I have seen. Your leather looks great too. However like mlapaglia I am ideological opposed to putting $1000 +/- handguns in Kydex and wearing the finish of by the end of that day:(

Great job on blending the KYdex and the leather together, it looks like a very comfortable and functional design. Did you use a hydraulic press to mold your Kydex or just a hand press? I’m on a couple of knife maker forums and I remember seeing some of the same comments regarding Kydex and knife sheaths. Some makers like the idea of the Kydex because it is very stiff and easy to mold. I have read about some makers lining there Kydes with thin leather to help protect the knife. But that would depend on what you were using it for and where you were. In sandy conditions I have seen the finish come off a gun barrel just from the sand getting into the leather and acting like sand paper.

Doug

Thanks for the comments and compliments. And thanks for showing me the proper clip use. Good to know. I just use a handmade foam press, but I'd like to experiment more with vacuum forming.

The question of which material wears a finish worse has been a question for as long as kydex has been around. I have looked into in the past and got a good mix of views, good and bad from both. All I can say is that with my personal weapon being in the same hybrid holster for the better part of a year, it has no wear. And I think depending on type of finish on the gun will determine how severe it is and how quickly. Of course I'm just one case, I'm sure there are others that would say the opposite. Nobody likes wear on their gun, but if you're gonna carry it everyday, I think no matter what you choose and use, eventually it will happen.

Kydex vs leather can get very contentious, lol. My dislike for Kydex is based on my own empirical experience not just theoretical bias. If you have carried a gun for a year with negligible wear I'm impressed. Maybe that's the difference between custom/craftsmanship and production garbage I have tried in the Kydex and injection molded market. I also love the mag release protector.

Very true D. This week I will be attempting my first all leather holster. Trust me, you all will be hearing from me...mainly screaming for help!

I’m sure the same type of discussions arose around many a campfire when new materials and methods were introduced. I suppose all crafts have their Lilliputians.

Doug

I think they look great, ecspecially compared to the other hybrid holsters of this type. Most that I've seen do not bother finishing or edging the leather at all, ecspecially the largest manufacturer of this style of holster.

I also disagree with that being the wrong clip for the job, while it can be sewn into another piece and used that way there is nothing wrong with using them like that, that bump is just one more thing to help lock it on the belt, its no different than if it were stitched in as it functions exactly the same. There's also nothing better available. There's shorter ones without the bump but on a tuckable holster they don't allow much room to tuck.

My thought when he asked if they were lined was only referring to the leather portion, like is the leather panel two layers of leather stitched together so its smooth on both sides. I'd assume so and that's why its stitched.

I've never been a huge fan of kydex but I see its place in the holster world. Its also very rare that I get to see kydex holsters that look good so that has a lot to do with it.

I have on request made a few that look similar but are all leather but it has never been one that I turned into a production model.

Good looking holsters.