FirstNick

Help! Ipad Sleeve Looking Funny

Hi!

I desperately need some assistance. If I post this in the wrong place, I am sorry and I ask the post to be relocated to the right place.

I have tried to make an Ipad sleeve, but it has not turned out how I imagined it. I sewed the two pieces together, but the leather gaped a lot in the opening with the Ipad inside.

So clever me, I wetted the leather (with the Ipad inside) and put some books on top as weight. 1 hour later I removed the books and it looked nice. But the day after the opening looked funny as showed in the pictures.

post-37485-0-93259800-1361366874_thumb.j

post-37485-0-74039300-1361366877_thumb.j

Shall I try to wet it all again, but leave it to dry for a longer period? Or am I taking the wrong path here?

Hoping to hear from you!

Best Regards

Nicklas

ps. after the wet forming the edge also separated like this:

post-37485-0-83182800-1361366876_thumb.j

Hello. When you wet the leather it can take 6 to 8 hours to dry and if you press it between something it can take up to 24 or more. And the edges will almost always seperate like that if you don't glue them really well befor sewing them together.

If it was my project...............I can think of three things off the bat.............I do not know what type of leather was used here. I am going to ASSUME that it was veg-tan with a liner. (1) It appears to be too short in length cause it to flip open at the mouth. If you wanted it to close, I would added another at least 3/4" (2) as for the edges. I believe the pressure of the shortness of the width and glue failure MAY have caused the edges to open up. I glue my edges with two layers of glue before I press them together and then sew them up after pressing them together to make sure they seal correctly. I have some belts with liners where I only used contact cement and no thread. Years later, they are still holding together. Plus, contact cement can be used while veg-tan is wet. Some saddle makers use it this way all of the time.

Okay, enough damaging your work product. How can you fix it. Again, if it was MY project. I would cut the sides down and make it a iPad Mini carrier OR re-do the whole thing again!

If you want to save this project here are a couple of things that I would suggest to you. I would un-stitch the sides down about 3-4 inches. I would add a few 3/4" strips to the top to help re-enforce the edges. This might work, but I feel that the short length that may still cause problems. You may want to add a strap as well with your choice of closure.

I also agree that molding leather takes quite a while. I usually molding my leather overnight with the item intact.

good luck.

Hi Nicklas - I feel your pain. I made a laptop sleeve for my sister-in-law for Christmas and experienced the same flared out opening as you did with your iPad. I too am wondering the best way to prevent it in the future.

Now, not to toot this guy's horn, but here's a maker that doesn't seem to experience the same problem, though I have no idea how he avoids the flaring problem.

http://www.etsy.com/...search_type=all

It doesn't look like veg tan leather, that could be why the molding isn't helping. I can't tell though as I'm on my phone.

I'd also add that I'd be careful with wet molding using the actual iPad, I'd doesn't take much moisture for the iPad to absorb it and even if it doesn't cause any noticeable problems it could be enough to change the moisture strip inside which will void the warranty if something else happens even if its an unrelated problem. I'd either make a form out of plywood if I were making several or I'd wrap the iPad up very well.

I'd second adding a strap on this one, I'm not sure of any other way to salvage this one. It may help on future ones to slightly taper the pattern so that's its just a tad wider at the opening, that may prevent the flaring issue.

As far as your edges separating it is the glue you're using, its probably a water based glue. Use a good contact cement and it will never separate.

Hi,

Thank you all so much for your feedback! After reading your posts, I will alter my template and change my workflow.

I think I will have another go and try to wet the leather with the iPad inside (with a lot of cling film around it!), but this time I will let it dry for at least 24 hours. Personally, I do not like the idea of a strap, so I will try to avoid it. At least it appears others can make it without straps, so it must be possible!

The leather I got on an auction some time ago, and therefore I am not certain whether it is veg tan or otherwise. However, my guess is veg tan.

Again, thanks!