Bluebanjo

Help! Searching For Full Grain - Dyed Leather- 5/6Oz

This is my first post, but I have been lurking for quite some time, nut I have finally decided to tap into the collective knowledge of this site. I have been actively looking for a "Full Grain" leather that is drum dyed throughout. I need the leather to be preferrably 5/6oz with the 7oz being the absolute max thickness.

I do not care if the leather is veg tan, chrome tanned, or oil tanned. It just needs to wear well, and be able to patina with time and use.

I have searched different suppliers and goods manufactures to try to find the ellusive hide. The closest thing I can find would be the leather Saddleback uses for their products, but I am confused because Dave Munson says that he uses chrome tanned leather, but everything else I have read has said that Chrome tanned will not Patina. And I know from experience that SB leather ages very well.

I have ordered from Weaver, Waterhouse, Tandy, and Springfield.

So basically I am looking for a full grained, 5/6oz, fully dyed bropwn leather that will age well.

Does anyone know of a supplier that has such a hide. Or does anyone know of a specific hide from the above manufatures that fits this criteria?

I am open to any help I can get...thanks

-Jake

I work for a manufacturer of leather furniture. All of the leathers that we use are top grain chrome dyed. I have a lot of small pieces that I was thinking about selling by the pound. These are small pieces, suitable for leather necklaces, bracelets, etc. I am happy to send you a photo. I can be reached at aebikurt(at)yahoo.com. Thanks!

Full chrome tan leather will not patina. I think if you use a chrome/veg retan leather like a latigo it might patina better. For the best "leather aging" affect you have to go with veg tan leather. For latigo in different colors and in the 5-7oz weight category try Hide House in napa. I got some nice honey colored latigo from them in that weight. If you want veg tan, then you can try Wickett and Craig. They will split the leather down to whatever thickness you want. They do dye some basic colors but the dyes are not struck through so the flesh side will not be colored if the leather is split. You can pay them to refinish the leather for you though so that the flesh and grain side are both colored. I usually order skirting leather from them (as far as I can tell it is their regular veg tan leather but colored). I have them split the leather to about 5-6oz, then I have them stake the leather which will soften it a bit (not very much). Then I have them buff the flesh side so it's a little smoother. I use those for bags and wallets. They're the only place I know of that will do those services for you on orders of a single hide.

Andrew

You might also consider oil tanned leather.

And here's somthing that i'd like to gripe about.....the saddleback page "leather 101" is VERY misleading, and full of inaccuracies. So, if you are using that page as a source for leather knowledge.....find a different and better source.

Of particular note: In the section with pics of "cheap" leather....it's a completely different type of tanning. They're using real pics of different leather types and claiming superiority based on the implication that they're the same type of leather....then use their false claim to justify their pricing.

They seem to be using oil tanned; veg re-tan; or bridle leather. They're comparing it to alum tanned / "tawed" leather ( perhaps latigo).

COMPLETELY different leather. And they've inaccurately described full grain and top grain....there, i'm done griping.

Ask the companies for a sample of pull up chrome tan. I'm pretty sure that's what your looking for.