stomper4x4

How To Turn Sewn Leather Items Inside Out?

Hi folks,

So I've been working on designs for leather pouches as seen in this thread http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=46163

I'm using 4-5 oz veggie tanned leather on this item. So what I do is sew the pouch together inside out, then turn it outside in so the stitching in ends up on the inside.

My question is what is the best way to turn something like this inside out? It's fairly heavy leather. My initial attempts found me wetting the leather to make it more pliable, then shoving it inside out. The problem is that the leather is soft after wetting, so I can unwanted marks and dings and also the final product dries with the leather being kind of wavy, not nice and straight as I'd like it.

It MAY be possible to push it through without wetting it, but the force needed would be extreme! Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a bunch!!

Can you work with lighter leather, change the design, or make a wooden form to fit inside the wet pouch?

And, when it's wet and easy to mark, are you setting it down somewhere, or placing it in a drying rack?

Can you work with lighter leather, change the design, or make a wooden form to fit inside the wet pouch?

I've thought about lighter leather but I like the sturdyness of the 4-5 oz stuff, not quite ready to give up on it yet! :)

I think the form idea is a great one. I was searching the other day and ran across an idea that basically had two curved pieces that fit the pouch then a wedge that slid between them to stretch it all out a little. Might be worth trying.

And, when it's wet and easy to mark, are you setting it down somewhere, or placing it in a drying rack?

Twinoaks, what happens is it gets marked when I am pushing and pulling on it to turn it inside out.

I wonder how the moccasin guys do it. Most mocassins are sewn up inside out then turned right side out after assembly. Assuming they use veg tan. Maybe they don't?

Thanks for the input guys!!

Mocs are usually chrome tanned

You could put newspaper or plastic bags into the bag. Push everything into a nice form and let it dry.

two curved pieces that fit the pouch then a wedge that slid between them

The problem I see with that is, two pieces independent of each other could twist the shape, and the wedge would have to be straight and not tapered.

Too much work over just cutting a solid form on a band saw in my opinion.

One expensive method used is an air bladder where the form is pressurized and takes the shape of the bag but it's too costly for home use.

One other method that might work is putting a plastic bag inside the leather and filling it with fine beach sand while the leather is still wet.

More good ideas. I'll have to just try some out and see what works best. Thanks guys I do appreciate it!

Skiving just the edges should help.