simontuntelder

Opinions On Fratelli Skiving Machine

I came across an offer of buying a rather cheap ($400) skiving machine from Fratelli. I don't know much about Fratelli and I couldn't find any info on it here and I haven't had much luck finding any reviews other places. So I guess it's not as good as Nippy or Fortuna.

So have you tried a Fratelli skiving machine? If so what did you think?

Sorry, never heard of it. Are you familiar enough with the machine to see if it is built as the Fortuna?

Many clones with most having almost all the features of the Fortuna. If this machine is new I would leave it where it's at.

ferg

I found this: http://www.fratellialberti.com/lang2/skiving_machines_av2.html

I didn't see any bottom and top feed machines. I don't see any mention of a grinder so I am guessing it has a grinding wheel

that is in contact with the bell knife all the time, I do not know that for sure.

Many configurations of the machine including, head only. Four hundred bucks is awfully cheap, may not include shipping. Appears the machines from the factory would ship from Italy. The heads will average 100 lbs. Shipping from Italy could cost you another $400 to $500.

ferg

Oh, I forgot to say that I found it in a classified add in Denmark. But the seller got it, when he bought a shop that used to house an upholstery and curtain shop, so he doesn't know anything about it (hence the price probably).

So I'm not buying straight from the factory - I found a re-seller of Fratelli skiving machines and new machines were way over $2.000.

And I don't know anything about skiving machines basically. I've tried a Fortuna in a leather factory once and I quite liked it, but they're so expensive in Europe, that I've never ever considered buying one until now.

Since they are still in production in Italy, buy it and contact the factory if you need a new blade, belt, or deburring stones. You are getting the machine for a quarter of its true value. You can probably order a manual from the company. They can tell you what the skiving capacity is once you know the model number.

Hei Simon,

FAV makes very good Fortuna style skiving machines and other leather machines too. Its a old well known and reliable Italian company who makes the top of the line leather machines. Ask Dan Naegle in Campbell-Randall http://www.campbell-randall.com/machines/leather-goods-machines/skiving-machines/fav-av2-skiving-machine-2/. he sells them, (LW member name is CampbellRandall in one word). This model is the FAV second machine type, first made in 1948. I must be a well proved machine, much alike its original Fortuna model.

Spare-parts should not be a problem, thats the main part of the FAV business today. I have a Italian skiving machine myself, the Italians knows how to make good machines. Look at their cars, you cannot find nicer cars anywhere else. However, when it comes to leather machines, Italy is the place. (Read mainland China)

Tor

Thanks Trox, that is some interesting info. I have never seen this style of skiver before, how does it feed? I don't really see how it would work. I tried to look at the manual but I am not that good with Italian and FAV could use a better english translator.....

FAV makes an excellent machine.

Here is a basic overview of a bottom feed machine.

That looks like a Cornelli type machine in the background?

Yes another fairly standard Fortuna style skiver, I'd be surprised of the bell knife and other main components aren't interchangeable with Fortuna and other clone bottom feed skivers.

On 10/30/2016 at 4:11 AM, Singermania said:

Yes another fairly standard Fortuna style skiver, I'd be surprised of the bell knife and other main components aren't interchangeable with Fortuna and other clone bottom feed skivers.

The only parts that remain somewhat interchangeable in the skiving world are blades and accessories (feet, feed wheels etc). Grind stones, belts, general replacement parts differ across the brands.The Asian skivers, in my opinion, are copies of copies - more imitations than clones. FAV follows the Fortuna design (the industry benchmark) better than any other machine on the market. FAV is still made in Italy, 60 years under the same family, with most parts directly interchangeable with the classic Fortuna skivers (current generation Fortunas are on a different platform). We sell and support both FAV and Fortuna brands. Fortuna is a fantastic machine, but few can afford the new cost. FAV is a strong contender in factory production and a good value. 

Edited by CampbellRandall

Once again I must say I wish there was a CampbellRandall style of supplier in Australia. I have a Fortuna and a FAV AV2 and both are very good machines.

The main difference is on the FAV that I have is the screw down holder on the back that allows the feed wheel to be set at different feed speeds if running continuously. I do find the Fortuna a little smoother but as I said both are very good and are IMO one of the essential tools in serious leather goods production.

I guess we are always going to have some elitest sales talk on this site, as far as I can see the Chinese machines are straight copies of the Fortuna, I'm not going to go into what a copy of a copy is.   I have an old Fortuna skiver here in our showroom side by side with a new Cowboy 801 skiver, to try to see the difference takes quite a bit of searching.   The bell knife, feed etc are all the same.

RockyAussie, what is it you are looking for in an Australian dealer?  Cowboy Leather Machines is Australia's biggest heavy leather sewing machine supplier, we also supply skivers, splitters, creasers, clicking presses etc.

3 hours ago, Singermania said:

I guess we are always going to have some elitest sales talk on this site, as far as I can see the Chinese machines are straight copies of the Fortuna

Singermania - I'm not trying to be an elitist or cause contention. I was simply stating that the only parts directly interchangeable are the feet and feed stones, as you noted. The mechanics on the Asian skivers are different and not interchangeable with Fortuna. The Asian skivers also have different feed system than the Fortuna / FAV machines (independent clutch or variable speed from the knife).

From a distance a KIA might look like a BWM, but that does not make them the same. The Asian machines are a fine solution for many people - our customers are mostly high production / high demand industries so we have different needs. No insult intended. 

Yes fair comment, I was thinking more about the interchangeability of the bell knife and driving stone than in depth mechanical side.   MInd you I have then both in front of me and its hard to spot a difference.   By the way I have a Randall here and love it.   best regards Steve

On 11/1/2016 at 0:05 AM, CampbellRandall said:

The only parts that remain somewhat interchangeable in the skiving world are blades and accessories (feet, feed wheels etc). Grind stones, belts, general replacement parts differ across the brands.The Asian skivers, in my opinion, are copies of copies - more imitations than clones. FAV follows the Fortuna design (the industry benchmark) better than any other machine on the market. FAV is still made in Italy, 60 years under the same family, with most parts directly interchangeable with the classic Fortuna skivers (current generation Fortunas are on a different platform). We sell and support both FAV and Fortuna brands. Fortuna is a fantastic machine, but few can afford the new cost. FAV is a strong contender in factory production and a good value. 

Hi. I looked at your site but the fav skiver doesn't have the price listed. How much is it?

3 hours ago, JeannieH said:

Hi. I looked at your site but the fav skiver doesn't have the price listed. How much is it?

Campbell-Randall is a business. You should be asking this question via the contact form, or email address, or phone number listed on their website.