Harfang

Wicket And Craig English Bridle Vs Hermann Oak

I am looking to buy some english bridle. I've worked with Hermann Oak and I know its amazing. But its not easy to get ahold of.

I just got a set of samples from Wicket and Craig and its AWFUL! this surprises me because i've heard such great things. it was dry, and cracked at the slightest bend. Are their samples representative of the actual product? How does WC english bridle compare to Hermann Oak?

Not sure where you got the idea that hermann oak is difficult to get...you can get it from springfield leather in anything froma square foot to a side. No input on the W&C.

I have a set of samples from W&C and wasn't overly impressed. However, I'm not sure if their intention was to impress you with the quality of the samples, or simple demonstrate color and general feel of the leather. Several of the pieces have a white powdery/waxy coating - I assume it's the wax stuffing and simply needs to be buffed away - never tried, they're just hanging on my peg board. That being said, it doesn't concern me at all - I am thoroughly happy with the leather from Wickett & Craig - it's very high quality. I love that I can order single hides directly from the tannery and they will split vegetable tanned leather "Tooling/Holster/Carving" leather for no additional cost. They're actually mailing me a few samples of English Bridle "Chestnut", split to 4-5oz - should have them any day now. I love Herman Oak too, but just noting that you should not judge W&C simply by their little 3 or 4 inch sample squares that are mass produced, probably from belly cut-offs, and no telling how long they've been sitting on a shelf waiting to be shipped out.

Edited by particle

Six or more years ago, I get some W&C samples (on a ball chain) at a show and was not favorably impressed. However the rep said "trust me" and I did. For veg tanned, that is all I order now. Their leather is excellent.

Art

Thanks for the responses. I feel better about ordering some today.

Not sure where you got the idea that hermann oak is difficult to get...you can get it from springfield leather in anything froma square foot to a side. No input on the W&C.

I've purchased Hermann Oak veg tanned from Springfield before and was happy with the service and quality. I didn't know they carried their english bridle though.

I'm pretty sure i completely missed the English Bridle part of that question.....however, it might not hurt to give them a call and ask.

I presume this is not what your asking for: http://springfieldleather.com/30895/Side%2CHarness%2COld-World%2CRusset/

Is it the English bridle samples that have the powdery/waxy coating? If so that is normal & will buff away no problem, with a soft brush or cloth & a little elbow grease.

i use Wickett and Craig English Bridle for all of my briefcases. it is alwaysupple, and awsome to work with.

Tony

I received my W&C split 3.5-4oz english bridle samples yesterday. WOW, this stuff is beautiful! Has a great feel to it.

I need a couple of people to share the cost of a Hermann Oak order from the tannery. There is a minimum order of 5 sides of the same color and also few options that can be added. I am flexible regarding color, gauge, etc. Info here: www.hermannoakleather.com. I have a splitter so it would be my preference to buy a heavier side. It can be ordered unfinished as well. I would be happy to have it delivered here and ship it out.

I received my W&C split 3.5-4oz english bridle samples yesterday. WOW, this stuff is beautiful! Has a great feel to it.

you gonna try some briefcases with it? i know you had an interest in them. if you do let me know if i can help. just finished my fifth one. they are getting pretty fun to do.

Tony

Love to - scared to waste a bunch of leather again though. Maybe I'll try again with some scraps I'm about to generate from an upcoming project. :)

Will that leather wet mould at all? Not for holsters necessarily, though I'm curious about that too, but I make a wallet design that needs to be able to stratch to hold several credit cards.

Will that leather wet mould at all? Not for holsters necessarily, though I'm curious about that too, but I make a wallet design that needs to be able to stratch to hold several credit cards.

No - it's practically water proof. I dropped a bit of water on one of the samples, and it just sat on the surface. It did penetrate maybe 3 pores just a bit, so it's not entirely waterproof. If the leather is split thin enough, it's quite flexible. W&C will also do an additional treatment on the leather to make it more flexible - I believe it's called jacking.

No - it's practically water proof. I dropped a bit of water on one of the samples, and it just sat on the surface. It did penetrate maybe 3 pores just a bit, so it's not entirely waterproof. If the leather is split thin enough, it's quite flexible. W&C will also do an additional treatment on the leather to make it more flexible - I believe it's called jacking.

It should wet mold although I haven't used Wicket & Craig English bridle leather I do use the real thing (English bridle leather from England) the leather is dressed, termed stuffed over here with cod oil and tallow which makes it water resistant but it dos take on water if you work it a little under water to open the pores up once it's toughly soaked mold as usual, beware though some cut costs and use cheaper alternatives to cod oil and tallow such as petroleum jelly, don't know how this would behave.

I am a beginner leather worker. just got my first side from W&C 7oz split. I noticed several marks on the grain side?

like something had rubbed it Leaving a marring. Will this show up after dye and finish?

Is this normal to expect from split leather

the flesh side Has a smooth grain, no fuzzy

I am a new holster maker and I make hybrid style holsters (leather back and kydex faceplate)

I have been using W&C 8 to 10 oz English Bridal (tan and Black) sides in standard grade

My questions are:

What difference have you guys seen between the Standard, utility and special grade?

Is standard worth the extra cost?

Have any of you had the W&C EB split before? I heard it can take a long time to get it if you order it that way.

I have had a good bit of waste on each side due to rough flesh side areas that I do not want to send out as my backs are not lined.

The flesh side on the W&C EB is amazing compared to Tandy and Zack White leather I have tried.

My last question is are there any better types you would suggest for leather holster backs?

Thank you for your help and advice,

James

Edited by GuardianConcealment

I get my sides split down to 5-5 1/2oz. The flesh side after splitting is not stringy at all because the splitting process cuts the side pretty clean. If you don't want to split the leather you can ask the, to buff the flesh side which should make it much more presentable. As for how long it takes, it's not that bad. It's taken anywhere from a week to a few weeks depending on how busy they are.

Andrew

i use Wickett and Craig English Bridle for all of my briefcases. it is alwaysupple, and awsome to work with.

Tony

Where do you order your WC bridle leather from?

Thanks,

Where do you order your WC bridle leather from?

Thanks,

straight from the tannery. you can look them up online and give them a call.