Ran

Took Nearly Half A Cow!

A repeat customer of mine (this is the fourth rig he's purchased) recently asked me to make a holster for his 'behemoth' Ruger Super Redhawk and a matching belt. He specifically asked that the belt not be 'authentic' western so that he could wear it separately, etc.

When I started drawing the pattern, I thought to myself, "...this dang thing is going to use up a double shoulder, for cryin' out loud!"... :).

He knows I love pistols, so when he handed me the firearm he included with it a box of .44 mag reloads and said, "Have fun!".. :). What a sweet shooting 'hand cannon!'

IMG_4279_zps12fdf245.jpg

IMG_4281_zps1fdffa0a.jpg

IMG_4286_zps488be366.jpg

DSCN4709_zps50e389f5.jpg

Edited by Ran

Looks good, I love the color. I also like the idea of people giving ammo with the guns they drop off, I might make that a requirement! :thumbsup:

Thats a great looking rig! A really clean looking job!

Bill

I like it a lot! Very nice.

Fantastic and what a great customer

Looks very nice. But you can't waste .44 magnums on paper targets. They work better on water jugs (especially frozen) since pumpkins and melons are out of season. :spoton:

Thanks for the remarks, folks! I chuckled at a few of them...:)

Wow! Very nice!

Ran, very nicely done, I made this one for the same gun for a customer around a year ago -- and yes, it takes a pot-load of leather. Mike

002-13.jpg

Very nice, Mike! I thought about doing a wide strap like that, but wanted to try the buckle thing.

That is sharp!

Nice job on that big boy RAN

This is fantastic. Everything is absolutely top notch. What dye did you use to get this fabulous color?

Regards

KN

This is fantastic. Everything is absolutely top notch. What dye did you use to get this fabulous color?

Regards

KN

KN...thank you. I just sponged on Tandy's Pro Water based stain. Light brown and dark brown. I'm a LONG time woodworker/cabinet maker, etc., but have been doing leatherwork only for a short time. One of the many things I have found that leatherwork and woodworking have in common is that (like wood) not all leathers are created equal when it comes to how they accept stain. I sometimes consider myself just plain old lucky when I get a finish like the one on this holster. But, having said that (and again, much like woodworking), I have also found that I keep getting better and better at achieving the finish I'm looking for..

Randy

Nice job on the rig. Hopefully the belt can hold that monster in place! Any good caliber really should start with a number 4.

Edited by Frank

That's awesome! Nice color.

I did this one shortly after I started working with leather for a co-worker to chest carry his S&W Performance Center 500, 10.5" barrel with a scope.

IMG_1091.jpg

Here's the bad news - I brought it to him, he started to put it on, looked at me and said - "this if for a right handed guy" :oops: I forgot a very improtant question at the time, RH or LH? Ended up making a whole new one for him. Hand Stitched!

Here is the peashooter that went in it

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

Edited by BigRiverLeather

Big River....thanks for posting the pic of that shoulder rig. I have a buddy with the same 'hand cannon' wanting a similar holster. Maybe I can borrow an idea or two from your photos...:)

Nice job on the rig. Hopefully the belt can hold that monster in place! Any good caliber really should start with a number 4.

Frank...I honestly think my customer will use this rig more for novelty than practical use. This is the fourth holster he's purchased from me and I'm getting to know him. I can't imagine a guy walking around much with a firearm like that on his hip. The belt was sort of an after-thought on his part. I happened to have a recently finished belt with me when I picked up his gun and he said, "Make me one of those too!"...:)

Big River....thanks for posting the pic of that shoulder rig. I have a buddy with the same 'hand cannon' wanting a similar holster. Maybe I can borrow an idea or two from your photos... :)

It had a strap that went over the hammer you can't see - you can see the snap for it.

Also, If I were to do it again (I hope not) Id add a strap that would go around the waist to help stabilize it.

That was his deer hunting rig. He's since moved to Arizona, probably hunting armadillos with it now.

I had a super RedHawk and You aren't just joking when you said behemoth hand cannon

those things are all gun!

and nice rig too BTW.

Smooth, very professional looking holster. Great job!