Usually I post stuff here about stuff we DON'T do. :-)

Just for once, here is an example of our more mainstream work, albeit an extreme one. Subject is a 1943 pattern USAAF B3 jacket (by Werber ?) rescued from a pet bed. It was in such poor condition we could not simply repair it so we tried something a bit more radical. We have not attempted to fake the restoration. The buckles are "wrong" but VERY similar to those used on wartime British (Irvin) flying jackets. The straps are cut to match from English saddle hide and we didn't try to get the "right" colour. Patches are from wartime sheerling. Zip is a NOS early1940's Conmar.The surface has been stabilized using a custom mixed modern preparation. We aimed for a "seal brown". It is close enough to the original to look good, but it is still clear which panels have and have not been restored. I guess the effewct we were trying to get was a radical "in theatre" repair. I hope it doesn't upset any purists out there. The alternative was back to the pet bed.

B3front%20thm.jpg

B3back%20thm.jpg

More detail at http://www.bysonleat.../B3 project.htm

Edited by John at Byson

Impressive work! Kudos.

Very good restoration! I'm sure someone is very pleased!

Wow.. Great job you did there

I pull my hat !!!!!

brilliant job, looks great, can i ask, did you just stain the leather or did you use a stain/ finish mix or pigment and sealant mix?

On 3/8/2013 at 12:50 PM, needles said:

brilliant job, looks great, can i ask, did you just stain the leather or did you use a stain/ finish mix or pigment and sealant mix?

We used a pigment / sealant mix (which we actually had formulated for Irvin work). I have seen dyed-through "restorations" and do not personally like the result.

Awesome and its a beautiful thing to bring back to life.

Restoration is a funny thing, some are happy to repair the original , but the repair must stand out as a eyesaw so people know its not original, often on old buildings. They take a 500 plus year old cathedral and insit the new blocks of stone stand out a gleaming new colour whilst the surrounding blocks are covered in 500 years of grime

Some others want to retain the grubby worn out patena with all the faults remaining and value it highly even if it looks a mess

Others make it back to a serviceable object that can be used and looks great maybe 95% of its original look

Depending on your most modern point of view you either hate whatever was done or love it

Me i think what you have done is great and its now a practical object that can be used for its original function