oobuckshotz

Stohlman Ency. Patterns ?

hello all

i am looking to make my first saddle ...and am going to get the 3 stohlman encyclopedias but i can find little on what is actually covered...and i went to the tandy store to see them but they were in plastc and i asked and was told no i chould not thumb threw them...wierd...but eh...

im wanting to make a wde style saddle round skirt drop ring rigging saddle but maybe inskirt rigging

i read that the first book had 4 patterns...but not what the patterns were are they just scaled down on a grid and u must draft them up....or are they ? what....

what patterns does it have like what is the differences...

do the instructionla volumes cover rawhide binding of cantel and horn...

thanks all

Mac

hello Mac,

Just my 2 cents....

You should buy the 3 vol

Because there are a lot of informations scattered through the 3 volumes

In fact, there are 3 or 4 different kind of saddles scattered in the 3 volumes with 2 or 3 different kind of way of dealing with almost each step in the building process....rawhide covering and 'co ....

so it is not unusual (for me and i guess for other folks around) to go through 1, 2 or 3 books to get all the information i need

Regarding the patterns :

yes, they 're "downscaled" so if you want them at scale 1 , you have to draw them on cardboard yourself resizing them (some of the "smallest" items are though in size 1)

Good luck and have fun! ;)

I would skip Stohlman's books. I have them and they could just as well be still wrapped in plastic. In my opinion get the Harry Adams book or the series of articles by Pete Gorrel either is FAR superior. The other book I still find useful is the lee rice part of how to make cowboy horse gear though it is harder to follow and not as complete as the other two.

Hey Lottarope ! ;)

I was wondering about Adams'book and was debating about buying it or not....

I think this is the 2d time i hear good things about that book ;)

so i guess that i am going to put it on my shopping list ;) (never enough informations to gather! ;) )

I would skip Stohlman's books. I have them and they could just as well be still wrapped in plastic. In my opinion get the Harry Adams book or the series of articles by Pete Gorrel either is FAR superior. The other book I still find useful is the lee rice part of how to make cowboy horse gear though it is harder to follow and not as complete as the other two.

Where might we find the articles from Pete? I am very interested.

Stohlman's encyclopedia of Saddlemaking 1 and 2 will be on sale for $20 bucks each starting April 15 at Tandy

The Pete Gorrell series on saddlemaking was in various issues of Leathercrafter journal. They have been put together in booklet form and are now available. Here is the website..........http://leathercraftersjournal.com/specialoffers.html

well bought the Adams book...but it dosent deal with inskirt rigging? does the Stohlman books?

They do but I forget just which one does have it in it. I have both the Stohlman series and the Harry Adams book. Both are good but not the last word. Inskirts are more difficult than D rigs or flat plate riggins for your first. HTH Ken

Third book has the in skirt detail.I could not find a reasonable paper copy,I bought e version