mrdabeetle

Medieval/renaissance/fantasy Pattern Pack

I downloaded your patterns, and while I haven't yet made anything from them, I am very much grateful to you for saving me the hours of headaches trying to pattern from scratch.

Kool add me to the list , I love to try new things . Keeps me interested in learning even at my age. Life is good. Gary

I'm just finishing up the full suit patterns. I'll have them up tomorrow possibly.

The hardest part is determining if a beginner will understand what to do. I'm still unsure, so I'll answer any questions that members may have about the patterns. There are some parts where forming is optional. These parts will work either way, but they will look better when formed. There is very minimal forming required in these patterns. Mostly, the parts just wrap around the body and buckle.

My stepson's birthday is coming up and he's outgrown his old armor, so as I use these patterns to make his armor, I will post pictures here to help get a better idea of how they all come together and how you can modify them to make them unique.

I don't write leather instructions but often do instructions for other aspects of work, I always aim at the age of 8 - 10 years, with some technical stuff explained happy to read through and critique if that helps.

Apologies got over excited and saw this post wanted to help, lesson to self read all posts before quoting one mid way!! d'oh

Edited by Pip

Can't wait to see!! It's always interesting to find new armor patterns

Thanks!

The upper layers should always go outside of the lower layers. That way as a weapon (sword, axe, mace, etc) is swung it will not catch on the edges of the pieces. Weapon swings are almost all in a downward direction (overhand). Typically, only thrusts come up from underneath. Underhand swings are not a very natural movement, and because of the muscle groups used to execute, are weaker blows. They also leave the warrior more open to counter attack.

Actually, while that sounds logical it doesn't hold true when compared to original pieces. Faulds, the lower banded skirt seen on some armors, can be seen in original pieces to overlap both upwards and a downwards. The same can be said of articulated breastplates, tassets (hanging thigh armor) and cuises (non hanging thigh armor).

Do an image search for 14th or 15th century articulated breastplates, while a few will exhibit a downward overlap the vast majority will be seen to overlap with the upper edge exposed.

Also check out Brian Price's "Techniques of Medieval Armour Reproduction", it's a great reference which shows both originals and reproductions and gives some explinations as to why armors were built the way they were.

It's so darned convenient having our own resident anthropologist/archaeologist. The things you learn!

Bill

Not an actual archaeologist yet, I've still got a couple of semesters to go. Degrees and titles mean little though, some of the most knowledgeable people I've met have had nothing more than a highschool education. Passion, the ability to research and the willingness to critically examine ones opinions are far more important than a piece of paper.

Actually, while that sounds logical it doesn't hold true when compared to original pieces. Faulds, the lower banded skirt seen on some armors, can be seen in original pieces to overlap both upwards and a downwards. The same can be said of articulated breastplates, tassets (hanging thigh armor) and cuises (non hanging thigh armor).

Do an image search for 14th or 15th century articulated breastplates, while a few will exhibit a downward overlap the vast majority will be seen to overlap with the upper edge exposed.

Also check out Brian Price's "Techniques of Medieval Armour Reproduction", it's a great reference which shows both originals and reproductions and gives some explinations as to why armors were built the way they were.

Thanks for this info. I was not aware of that. Is this true for both leather and metal plate? I would think that it may make more of a difference with the harder metal plate. But, I am neither an anthropologist nor an archeologist, I just like history.

Anhurset, if you're ever in Philadlephia let me know. I'll take you to the Penn Museum which is 5 or 6 blocks from where I live. We went there a few months ago for a lecture by Zahi Hawass, and briefly got to meet him after. It was quite an experience.

Best of luck with the rest of your schooling!

Bill

Oh .. And more on topic for this thread, I don't know anything about walnuts as a leather stain, but I CAN tell you that walnut husks will totally wreck the finish on a car!

Actually leather armor appears to have followed deferent designs and design parameters than metal armors, though considering how little medieval European leather armor has survived (if I remember right there are a couple of vambraces which appear to have been parts of full arm harnesses and most of a single full leg harness) it's almost impossible to have an appropriate understanding of their design and construction. There are hundreds of composite armors such as coat of plates and armored jacks, but in the end those are more metal armor which happens to be held together with large sheets of leather, fabric or a combination of both.

The armor patterns in this pack are inspired by metal armors and as such they should be layered in the way one would if constructing it out of metal. I'm not stressing historic accuracy here, I'm stressing proper construction based on what was done in period to ensure that the armors move and lay properly.

I would look anything you release. Hard to find Steampunk patterns and there is a fairly large group in my area

like to have a copy of that tank you :D

Hey, Thanks for the patterns! I too am trying to figure out how some of them go together...

However, if you are still taking recommendations, a female chest piece would be nice :D

I'm working on a Skyrim helmet. I'll post the pattern once I get it complete

Here is an updated link to the patterns. I apologize for the wait. I've been busy.

Edited by Northmount
Updated with link to patterns

I am also interested in the pattern pack; just a novice and want to learn how to craft leather armor and equipment better.

Edited by Greimalk

Mrdabeetle, let me join the others in thanking you for your efforts on this. I'm excited to try making a few pieces of this. History has always been a fascination of mine.

Thanks for the share.

You Rock... Just thought you should know...

I would also like to have a go at that pattern pack. If I find mine, I will share them with you as well.. I have a few demo-gauntlets and a few other patterns I have created down the road.

I recently printed the pattern for the chest and back plates. It was very small like teddy bear small. Does anyone know how to resize the pattern to fit a 46 chest??????? Please let me know. Thank you. John