Sign in to follow this  
Haystacker

Holster Maker Wanted For Purse Carry

Looking for a holster maker for a customer that is looking for someone to make a purse holster for his wife. He is specifically looking for a holster that his wife can carry in her purse that would allow her to fire the pistol while still in her purse.

If interested let me know and I can send you customers email.

Thanks

Jeff

I think there are other posts on here stating that a holster that allows the pistol to be fired without drawing requires special licensing. Some other guys might be able to say for sure yes or no, but pretty sure that is the case.

I read somewhere in a Leathercrafters & Saddler's journal about this issue. If I read it right, it's a REAL big no-no. A federal no-no. The article was pertaining to a pocket holster that had a hole cut out to reach the trigger without pulling the gun from the holster, but I think it would also pertain to this kind of purse carry.

Good points. I will check with the ATF.

Concealed carry purses are legal. Need a permit. Google and you will come up with many types. No law that says you have to show your gun before you shoot. I've made a few. I also instruct concealed carry classes. Hope this helps.

The "can fire while in the purse" part is also going to depend lrgely on the weapon of choice. Single action revolvers...maybe. DA/SA revolvers like the SW 638/642....no problems. Large frame semi-autos will likely not get more than one or two shots.

Concealed carry purses are legal. Need a permit. Google and you will come up with many types. No law that says you have to show your gun before you shoot. I've made a few. I also instruct concealed carry classes. Hope this helps.

Whoops. Couldn't figure out how to post and quote a post on my phone. Problem isn't cc purse. It is the holster inside the purse that allows pistol to be fired without drawing from holster. Those are what there is problem with.

All depends on the size of the gun. Tough to put a 1911 in a holster, then in a side pocket of a purse. Google pocket holsters. I made a taurus judge with open trigger and two purses. One she tried out. The other she still carrys. If it can be made it will be out there. If I can find the pic in my lap top I will post it on my face book page.

Putting the gun inside a wallet type holster is what can be the problem. There are some on the market that are legal with out any special provisions but they have been approved by BATF. The March /April LeatherCrafters and Saddlers Journal has a good article pertaining to the wallet holster, it is on page 51. Also if the holster is fixed to the inside of the purse and is designed so that it can be fired from inside the purse without unholstering then the purse may be defined by BATF as "other type of weapon". Don't take my word or anyone elses word on this especially anyone that says don't worry it's ok. They aren't the ones that will be making the arrest. Your best bet if you design something is to contact the BATF and submit a drawing and explanation to them they will provide an answer in writing. The written approval is your protection.

Here is a link to a ATF FFL nesletter that discusses wallet holsters the discussion starts on page 5 and is information direct from the BATF. http://www.atf.gov/publications/newsletters/ffl/ffl-newsletter-1997-08.pdf

Here is an excerpt from an ATF FFL newsletter (this is only part go to the link above to read full article.:

WALLET GUNS

ATF has received numerous inquiries regarding

wallet guns and wallet holsters.

As defined in section 5845(e) of the National

Firearms Act (NFA), the term “any other weapon”

includes certain concealable weapons. Various

types of disguised weapons such as cane guns, belt

buckle guns, and briefcase guns (with remote

control firing mechanisms) fall within the “any

other weapon” category. It is unlawfil to make,

possess, or transfer such firearms without

complying with the provisions of the NFA.

During the 1970’s, ATF determined that various

small handguns combined with certain “wallet

holsters” fall into the “any other weapon” category

and are subject to the provisions of the NFA.

These wallet holsters are generally rectangular in

shape, are designed to disguise the appearance of

the handgun, and are designed to allow the weapon

to be fired while it is contained within the wallet.

The handgun combined with the wallet holster

constitutes an NFA firearm.

Edited by camano ridge

A holster that alows a weapon to be discharged while still holstered, or a purse with an attached holster that alows the weapon to be fired without unholstering is defined as "other Weapons" by the ATF and falls under the NFA (National Firearms Act), and are not made legal by having a CC permit. If they are not of a type previously approved by the ATF they must have a BATF Tax stamp (refer to the NFA). Even with a ATF Tax Stamp some stated do not allow "Other Weapons". State of Washington issues a Concealed Pistol License it specifically allows you to carry concealed a pistol as defined by state law it does not allow you to carry concealed Knives over 3.5" or "Other Weapons". Again don't take anyones word for it, check with the ATF. I to am a Concealed Carry Instructor and fire arms instructor.

2 kinds of concealed pocket carry, You are talking about the one that completely covers the gun and you can still shoot it while it is the holster.The one that is legal has the reciever open at the top to identify that it is a gun and you can still fire the gun while holstered. Google pocket holster and you will see both. I'm an NRA concealed carry instructor. Ask the NRA to interpit the law. They will be happy to.

Catchndreams, I agree100% with your last post. As I said in my previous post there are ones that have been approved by the ATF and you are correct if the slide/Barrel is not covered or hidden by the holster they are legal and there are a couple on the market. However the op was talking about one for in a purse and if it is attached to the purse the purse becomes part of the holster and the entire gun is concealed. I to am NRA certified, and a Life member and all of that. I do rely on the NRA for information. However if i want to make sure I understand the law I go to the people that will be making the arrest.

My 2 cents is that if you want to make sure you're not crossing any lines find out where the ATF office is that covers the area you're in and check with them. I am not an NRA instructor nor any other kind of instructor, my dad however is a firearms dealer and has been for the past 40 some years. He goes to gun shows all over the western states and can guarantee you that the ATF's rules/laws are interpreted differently from one ATF office to another. If they can't keep there own rules straight or make sense of them it is pretty much impossible for holster makers, firearms dealers or even the NRA to keep them straight. Camano Ridges advise to check with them and get a letter saying you're OK is your best bet. To be honest if it were me and somebody I knew wanted a one off purse holster I'd probably just build it and move on with life but I wouldn't try to make a line of them or do a lot of advertising without going through the ATF. Good luck, Josh

Thanks again for all of the input. My first question is "Anyone interested in making this holster?" I am trying to connect my customer with a maker that may be interested in making the holster.

I have fired off a letter to the ATF. I thought I would pass on the answer to my customer.

Thanks again.

Jeff