stef73433

Pattern Wanted For A Phone Cover That Stays On Phone, Not A Sleeve

I want to design a cover that stays on phone to protect it when i drop it... not a simple sleeve. Anyone have any patterns or advice? If not, I will wing it :)

The best way that I have seen this done is as a molded sleeve with the screen area cut out. That way, the leather around the bezel of the phone will hold it in well.

I used to make a lot of cell phone cases and like Glendon said, they have to be molded. Wet Molded. I would start out by making an exact wooden copy of the phone(or object).You can make it out of molding compound but it cant be H2O activated after its dry. A good veg-tanned, 4-5oz or heavier, shoulder leather works best for the case. Place your wooden copy mold onto a block sightly larger than itself and start forming your wet leather(properly cased of course) around the phone mold, paying attention to ridges and buttons. I like using a reverse cut out or boarder piece of wood to encircle the molded object and help clamp down the leather. Once you've worked it into the desired shape, firmly clamp down the outlining frame. Then you can take some molding tools and press in any surface (or bottom) details. Once its dry you'll have to attach a backing piece by gluing & stitching(sewing), stapling, clinch nailing, etc. You can incorporate a top flap or belt loop out of extending the back piece, or you can add that later. If you molded the lip around the screen of your cell, and did it well, then you should be able to carefully cut out along that ridge by the screen area and the phone should stay in place. You could add a clear piece of plastic to cover the open (screen) area but most people buy the screen protectors anyways so you don't really need that.

Good luck---oh and dye your pieces the desired color before assembly...much easier.

It does depend on the phone. I was looking at mine and thinking "Hmm, only 2 or 3 mm at each end, not sure I'd trust that," but my wifes phone would have to be removed from the case every time it needed charging etc anyway as the ports are all protected with flaps. I'd take a good look at the phone and think where you need access points - it's not just the screen. Charging, headphone jack, buttons, they all make a difference.

I would always punch out the charging ports, earphone plug, volume controls, etc using the wooden mold. I had some with just a tiny lip around the edge and they stayed in place just fine. But sometimes I would add a flap w/ a magnet(never hurt the cell as some claim) or velcro as an additional overlay. Makes it much easier to get the phone in and out, otherwise you have to lightly dampen the case to slip the phone in.But If you feel the the lip is too small then I would add the plastic screen cover built into the leather case. Fast Fix works well to secure it. They're really no different than the one piece TPU cases currently on the market, just made of leather.

Edited by juxtaposed2