camoman33935

Can A Finished Leather Holster Be Dyed Darker?

Hey fellas,

I am a new guy when it comes to dealing with leather. I have not started making my own leather goods yet but would like to in the future.

But for now, I have a question regarding whether or not a leather holster that is already finished can be re-dyed a darker color? The reason I ask is because I have a Bianchi holster that is a saddle tan type color but I am wanting it to be a darker brown color so it does not stand out so bad against my clothing, as well as try to get a closer match to the color of my belt.

Is it possible to re-dye an already finished holster? What products do I need to re-dye the holster? What is the process for doing something like this?

I believe Bianchi holsters are made from vegetable oil tanned leather.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gotta get as much of the finish off as you can.....I suggest trying denatured alcohol.

When it dries and looks flat instead for glossy, you know it's working.

I've done this and have had pretty good results.

Absolutely! Fiebings Professional Oil Dye will cover ANYTHING. It's only made in a few colors but dk brown is one of them. You can use a paint brush and get in all the small crevices. You don't even need to prep the holster your working on, unless its got a thick coat of wax or something like that on it. I've use it several times to cover old worn out holsters and belts. It covers with one coat very evenly with no streaking and hardly bleds at ALL. It takes a while to dry but once it does there's no reside, and it doesn't wipe off on clothes or anything. It's the ONLY dye I use when I need black, dk brown, light brown or saddle. I wish they made ALL the colors in oil dyes...probably somebody does...maybe someone will post a reply with a link to some...?

Absolutely! Fiebings Professional Oil Dye will cover ANYTHING. It's only made in a few colors but dk brown is one of them. You can use a paint brush and get in all the small crevices. You don't even need to prep the holster your working on, unless its got a thick coat of wax or something like that on it. I've use it several times to cover old worn out holsters and belts. It covers with one coat very evenly with no streaking and hardly bleds at ALL. It takes a while to dry but once it does there's no reside, and it doesn't wipe off on clothes or anything. It's the ONLY dye I use when I need black, dk brown, light brown or saddle. I wish they made ALL the colors in oil dyes...probably somebody does...maybe someone will post a reply with a link to some...?

Do you have an example of the dark brown? Just trying to get an idea of what it actually looks like.

Thanks!

Camoman, . . . try this link http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/2111-02.aspx

That should be pretty close to the actual color, . . . as it is a DARK brown.

One thing you need to look at, . . . what kind of finish was on it originally. If it is an acrylic, like Resolene, . . . the dye won't penetrate as well until you get it off.

There is another thread around here somewhere in this forum or the "How do I do that" forum just exactly on removing Resolene. You "may" have to do that first.

You could try a small part of the holster with just the dye, . . . see what happens, . . . if it doesn't take to suit you, . . . you will have to get the finish off.

Good luck.

May God bless,

Dwight

Check Springfield Leather, they have a number of colors in the Pro Oil dye, beyond what you usually see.

One thing you need to look at, . . . what kind of finish was on it originally. If it is an acrylic, like Resolene, . . . the dye won't penetrate as well until you get it off.

There is another thread around here somewhere in this forum or the "How do I do that" forum just exactly on removing Resolene. You "may" have to do that first.

...or maybe read post #2 of this thread.