billymac814

Finally Got A Claes Patcher.

I've been drooling over these for some time now but the 6000-7000 dollar price tag of a new one put it out of my reach. I made a 12 hour round trip and picked up a used one in good condition today and got it for a price I could live with. It came on a powered stand but the motor was kind of weak so I put it on the stand that I just bought for my Adler a few months back so its set up with a servo and speed reducer. This thing will crank out about 3-4 SPI if I need it too as well as super fine stitches. So far its all I hoped it would be. I put the Adler back on its treadle and will use it as a secondary machine. I put my former secondary machine, a Singer 29k58 up for sale in the for sale section if anyone's interested.

Congrats on the new machine,they are great. We have a couple of shoe shops in town here with them & they sew some pretty heavy stuff on them.

What is the thread capacity on it?

That's a good question actually. I have no idea so I emailed Shoe systems Plus and asked them. It works fine with 138, ill try and bump it up to 207 just to see. My Adler will sew with 138 but it doesn't always like to. The Claes didn't have any problems so I assume I could maybe get by with 207 on occasion. Its a very cool machine. Its pretty similar to the Singers and Adler patchers but it looks a little more heavier and very well built.

Ok so I heard back from Shoe systems plus and here's what they told me.

The thread size is only limited by the needle. A 138 thread requires a size 140 or larger needle. A 207 thread requires a 180 or larger needle. Since the heaviest needle available is a 160 you cannot use the 207 thread. You can also put the 138 thread in the bobbin but you won’t get a lot of yardage in there.

HI

I just bought a Claes 30 myself.  Everything I read suggest they are a great addition to a shop, but I've also read they come with a coupleof draw backs. 

1.  Only a walking foot.

2. Difficult to sew a straght line.

I understand #1 concern.  My singer 201MK is also only a single element feed and sometimes that's a problem.  Ive added a speed reducer to this machine and use it very successfully to sew zippers into bag leather and to make small straps etc.  It's a joy to use for these applications with the added speed reducer but I make sure to feed the light leather carfully.

#2.  I have no idea if straight line sewing will be an issue for the Claes.   It's what I initialy intend to use the machine for however.   Sewing the vertical seams of a bag at both ends.  

Can anyone comment on this?

Don

#1 and #2 are issues you will have with any type of patcher machine. This is not only a Claes "problem" (well not really a problem). Patchers are machines made for repairing things. They are not really production machines. All patchers have just a top feed (material is moved forward by a toothed presser foot) other feeding system are technically impossible for patcher machines because of the 360° rotating foot.

The 30 (or 3) is just a subclass for the largest available hook but not the model number. Model numbers for CLAES patchers are 201, RPX, 200, 8345 and 8346.

Edited by Constabulary

Thank you.  Very insightful.  8346 I belive in this case.  I use a singer 201mk with a home made speed reducer and after market motor to sew 2-4 oz leather...light stuff which it works pretty well for.  Aside from all the other differences the feeds are equivalent would you say?  Both the singer and the Clase have a single element material advancement mechanism...is my point.

Silverd

only been around 1 and it didn't last . someone tried to do way to much and it broke down. my 30-70 adler far better ,but just me. you just need to glue the leather be for you try sewing. if your doing patch work with walkins i'd go with the jump stitch . good luck with your new machine.