I need to make some spur straps. I have the Tandy patterns and am going to make something that looks like the attached.

These will be award straps...so they will have the rodeo logo on them. So does that go to the outside when worn? If so, that means the buckle will be on the inside and my daughter says the buckle is always on the outside so they don't rub together. So..which way are they supposed to be worn?

I can't find any images of trophy spur straps similar to this ON a pair of boots :)...so I apologize in advance for the question that to many will seem pretty obvious! LOL

post-37274-0-08339300-1363645526_thumb.j

Christine,

Buckles are on the outside.

The large 'center section' should have your 'feature pattern' on it and will sit more or less on top of the boot facing forward.

If your logo is small and round, it could go on both pieces, aroung the point they attach to the spurs and would be visible from all sides.

JJ

Thank you. It didn't seem right with the buckle on the inside but then I found this picture and thought that was the way it supposed to be.

I did a prototype with some inexpensive leather and I think I finally have my sizing down for my pattern. One thing I am still not sure on is the size of my "circle" on the buckle end of the strap. Seems like it should be the same size as the one on the inside of the boot. But from the pictures I have seen online, it seems it doesn't really matter.

Now for the question of leather...what weight leather should I use on these? I plan on lining them with something lightweight.

Thanks again for your response!

Chris

post-37274-0-18710100-1363708743_thumb.j

I have seen spurs worn with the buckle both ways. I prefer out, but that's just me.

Buckles on the outside, particularly nice buckles like those. A possible solution would be the so-called buckaroo style with the buckles (and decorative conchos) on a large piece on the outside with the billet on the inside and threading through a keeper on the top of the large piece which comes across the arch of the boot, leaving a space to be decorated onthe outside which would also be framed with the buckles and conchos. as to wt, 4-5 oz tooling leather lined with 2 oz calf or kip. Look on some maker websites: buckaroobusineses.net, bigbendsaddlery.com etc

Not ready to tackle the buckaroo straps yet :)...and they don't seem to leave much room for putting award information on them.

As far as the wt of the leather...thanks for the info. Somewhere else I saw 8-9 oz but that seemed really heavy to me.

Make your own design. I always do.

That way you can get room for the information you want.

post-11406-0-15162800-1363848305_thumb.j

Christine, the straps in your first post are worn with the buckles inside!

Christine, the straps in your first post are worn with the buckles inside!

That's the problem...everyone that I have talked to that actually wears spurs while riding (so the straps serve a purpose...not just an accessory) say buckle on the outside!!! This coming from a pro-rodeo calf roper all the way down to my daughter who barrel races. The buckles on the inside are not fun when it is time to ride as they just pushed against the ankle when spurring the horse. I did talk to another tack maker and her's are the same design and she confirmed that the buckle is supposed to be on the outside however many chose to wear them backwards.

So really the only way to get the buckle and the design area on the outside of the boot would be to do a "buckaroo" style strap and this customer doesn't have the budget for those as they would be more expensive.

Although this style does look better with the buckle on the inside and the design on the outside, that is not how they function best for the rider.

Edited by cmantz

I just made a note that this style is designed with the buckle inside, as it looks a little silly to wear this style with the buckles outside, like putting on your boots on the wrong foot.

when in me home country n working with various saddle n harness folk,as a lad.the rule was horse first,nothing that pricks ,scratches,lumps or bumps goes against th horse, but away from th animal allways !

Here is the finished product...at least one pair. Six more to go.

I still need to put the holes in for the spurs but waiting for a larger hole punch to arrive. They didn't turn out too bad. The was my first stamping attempt...figured an decorative edge wouldn't be too hard. But I had a problem with my stamp "walking". I need a better mallet I think. Recommendations? I was thinking about waiting until mid April as Tandy is having a sale on a Al Stohlman mallet. I think she said it will be $48 with the Elite membership.

Any advice or critiques welcome...

post-37274-0-21443700-1364307922_thumb.p

Those look nice Chis, good job. I've had problems with large stamps "bouncing" a heavier mallet and better base (granite slab, steel plate, etc.) helped me. With the cam tool you used I kind of doubt that's what's happened to you though. For most of my tooling that size I use a small poly mallet on a 2" granite slab.

Good luck, Josh

It is probably more like "user error ". I am using an OLD wooden mallet my husband made in like 7th grade LOL. I did figure out that I was holding it too close to the mallet end. When I moved my hand more to the end of the handle, it seemed better. Also, it might be that I am not holding the stamp correct and not hitting square. Definitely need to practice.

Question: when holding a stamp like the cam tool...should I hold it vertical or slightly tipped back? Also, what about the depth of the impressions. What is "just right"?

If I were you i would buy a Maul. From barry king, the bear man or other.

If you are making more the the straps you may want to make the L and I a but farther apart. When i saw it, it looked like a U.

Yeah...boy that always comes up!. I once did some shirts for them with a drop shadow around the lettering and then stacked the year underneath. That really made you look twice. That is one of those instances in which I knew what it said but didn't take a step back and SEE how others might see it. Talk about being too close to the work to see the big picture. I never hear the end of it...in fact some of the kids got in trouble for wearing it them school! Also, one little old lady in church questioned one of the kids shirts!!!!! Really? In church?

Yeah..the maul is the next purchase. Any recommendations on style or weight?

Yeah..the maul is the next purchase. Any recommendations on style or weight?

I just got a barry king 24 oz works great for basket stamping and for tooling just dont hit it as hard.

So, tooling requires lighter weight than stamping?

Does the 24 oz get heavy? I was looking at a 16 oz. at Tandy.

I use a 14 oz. poly mallet for stamping, a 19 oz. mallet for punching holes and slots and a 22 oz. maul for larger stamps and slots. I just checked in Weaver's catalog, buying all three would run around $70. I've been using the 14 oz. mallet for 3 or 4 years and it's about due to be replaced, for an investment of less than $20 I don't have any complaints. I do like the Barry King mallets but the Garland ones are much cheaper, they're also American made and they work good for me.

That's my 2 cents.

Have a good day,

Josh

Thanks Josh...I will check them out. I am trying to get together my initial $250 order with Weaver.