keplerts

First Saddle Repair/restoration

Here are some pics of my first saddle repair/restoration. I replaced the stirrup leathers, re-plugged and refleeced the skirsts. The skirts where just one very thin

piece of leather that had curled under. I re-sewed the horn, re-dyed the whole saddle to a mahogany color (it was light oil color). I also pre-turned the stirrups and added some saddle strings. I finished it off with Fiebings Aussie conditioner and pure neatsfoot oil. It is a cheap production saddle that was held together by lots of staples. They stapled right through the fleece into the bars. I added lug straps to hold the skirts on. All-in-All I'm happy with the way it turned out. I only wish I would have taken before pics.

I am workin my way up to actually building my own saddle.

Thanks for looking...

Tom

I forgot to add that I hand stitched the whole thing. What a chore that was!

Tom

post-35680-0-84381500-1363650257_thumb.j

post-35680-0-46969700-1363650271_thumb.j

post-35680-0-97290500-1363650286_thumb.j

post-35680-0-05327700-1363650303_thumb.j

Here are some pics of my first saddle repair/restoration. I replaced the stirrup leathers, re-plugged and refleeced the skirsts. The skirts where just one very thin

piece of leather that had curled under. I re-sewed the horn, re-dyed the whole saddle to a mahogany color (it was light oil color). I also pre-turned the stirrups and added some saddle strings. I finished it off with Fiebings Aussie conditioner and pure neatsfoot oil. It is a cheap production saddle that was held together by lots of staples. They stapled right through the fleece into the bars. I added lug straps to hold the skirts on. All-in-All I'm happy with the way it turned out. I only wish I would have taken before pics.

I am workin my way up to actually building my own saddle.

Thanks for looking...

Tom

I forgot to add that I hand stitched the whole thing. What a chore that was!

Tom

It is no doubt better than new ! Way to go! It looks Good!-------------Bill

Looks good. The mahogany turned out good.