kyuukaru

Given Singer 191D300A – Worth Optimizing?

Hello,

I'm new to Leatherworker.net and impressed with the wealth of technical knowledge on sewing machines.

I was just given a Singer 191 D300A, made in Japan. The person giving it to me said it was in good working order but it has been sitting unused for several years.

I sew handbags, chrome-tanned leather, some nubuck, some suede, the occasional veg-tan, nothing extra thick. Is it worth investing in this machine? The body of the machine itself seems in good nick but there are several rusted accessories (e.g. thread tower) and the table is wavy. Reading through leatherworker forums wondering if it can (or should!) be optimized for sewing leather.

Attaching photos, would appreciate advice --

post-32888-0-06339000-1364064098_thumb.j

post-32888-0-79952900-1364064123_thumb.j

Oil it and thread it up and see how it runs.

The machine needs tuning but produces a fairly good stitch. The question is whether to invest $500 or more on this particular machine -- repair / replace the table, rusted bobbin case, foot, and other damaged areas and a roller foot or walking foot -- vs. investing that money in a different machine entirely given limited funds! Leatherworking colleagues recommend a double or triple feed machine, and this is not a walking foot machine. That said, perhaps someone has experience with maximizing this type of machine to sew leather.

Wiz is the one to answer your questions and I am sure he will shortly.

With my limited experience, 2 years of having two machines, I would say if you want to sew some very thin leather this machine may suffice, otherwise, save your penny's and get a triple feed.

ferg

I wouldn't invest much if any money into that machine. That being said, free is a really good price! It would be good for sewing very light suede or lining material. Some observations from your pictures. The table is broken down because if you look at the photo of the motor, the belt adjusting nut is not tensioning the belt properly. If it's been that way for a while, the weight of the motor and the pressure increase during operation are responsible for the table breakdown. The table is easy to adjust how the head sits by cutting some shims from masonite and gluing them in the corners under where the machine is sitting below the table. That's pretty cheap.

The motor weight should be supported by the lower nut with about 1" deflection of the belt. There should be a nut above the motor mount as well to lock the motor in place. If you want to slow the machine down, get the smallest pulley for the motor you can find. Also, the rod that goes down to the pedal (pittman rod) should be moved out to the end of the lever on the bottom of the motor. This will give you much more control. This would be a good machine to learn to sew with a clutch motor since you don't need the increased torque or decrease in heat from really light leather.

The weight of the motor from what your picture shows is putting undue stress on the main top shaft bearing. The rust could also be an indication of lack of oil. I'd use this machine with some minor adjustments and then sell it when you want to upgrade. When things are free, you may as well get some use out of it. In my opinion, if you invested $500 in upgrading the motor, you'd still have a $400 machine. Above all, have fun!

Regards, Eric

Wow, thank you very much for the specific suggestions, extremely helpful. Will do the fixes you suggest and start sewing . . . it would be great if it can handle medium-weight nubuck.

It's now up & running smoothly! Cut shims from thick belting leather, the tech put in smaller pulley, moved pittman rod to end of lever, oiled & cleaned. A teflon foot was hidden in the drawer. Just as you guys said the Singer 191 D300A can't handle 2 layers of leather. Currently trying to figure out the needle system: the manual says DBx1 / 16x257 system, but the tech put in a DP x 8, both seem to work even tho they have slightly different shank sizes. Hoping to find a LR type needle with a 45 degree twist that works on the machine. Thanks again for the helpful info!

Cool! Did the tech adjust the motor and belt as well?

Regards, Eric

Yes, I made a checklist of your tips and checked it off as the tech did it! The table will still need replacing as the MDF is literally crumbling away but it's stable enough for now.