radiodinner

Ultimate Durable English Bridle Leather Finish

Hi Folks, This is my first post here on LW.net, but I've been lurking for a few months.

I'm making belts using 12/13oz English Bridle Leather. I've got the edges like I want them, but I'm having difficulty developing a super-durable finish on the face of the strap. Most of the advice I see on LW.net deals with natural leathers in which dyeing is part of the finishing process.

My question is basically this: what method do you use to create the most durable/permanent finish that's possible on English Bridle Leather? Neatsfoot oil? Gum Trag? Wax?

I want to avoid having (for instance) the belts "patina-ing" within a few days of use, or, as one of my belts does, have the finish rub off when I wear an OWB pancake holster. Also, there is no "tooling" per se, but sometimes a crease.

Thanks in advance, folks,

Nic

Edited by radiodinner

Did you ever get an answer to this post?

If you're using English bridle it should have enough spew, to buff to a warm luster. If you're using domestic bridle, depending on the tannage, it could be greasy(triple C) or fairly dry like a w/c or HO. I tend to use the greasy leathers and just buff them up when I burnish my edges.

I like a waxy feel, so even on domestic stuff, I use Aussie Leather Conditioner. It's basically beeswax and petroleum jelly, with probably naptha to thin things. Once the petroleum distillates evaporate, you're left with a durable waxy finish that lasts a while. It's not permanent, though, and use will wear it off. It does very slightly darken the leather, but so does oiling it. I do both.

Hi Folks, This is my first post here on LW.net, but I've been lurking for a few months.

I'm making belts using 12/13oz English Bridle Leather. I've got the edges like I want them, but I'm having difficulty developing a super-durable finish on the face of the strap. Most of the advice I see on LW.net deals with natural leathers in which dyeing is part of the finishing process.

My question is basically this: what method do you use to create the most durable/permanent finish that's possible on English Bridle Leather? Neatsfoot oil? Gum Trag? Wax?

I want to avoid having (for instance) the belts "patina-ing" within a few days of use, or, as one of my belts does, have the finish rub off when I wear an OWB pancake holster. Also, there is no "tooling" per se, but sometimes a crease.

Thanks in advance, folks,

Nic

If your using English Bridle, you should not have to worry about this for some time... Years.

English bridle will take a very long time to discolour or lose it's surface finish.

I'm currently wearing a belt I made over 15 years ago and have done nothing to it other than a coat of carnauba on occasion.

It's tough stuff.

Nige