Everything I looked at seemed overkill for a lighter...

So I tried to simplify it, even still it's too complicated. At least it's small, 3 1/2" tall by 2 1/2". Takes about 1/2 hr to cut out, oil dye, glue up and assemble ( I will get that down to about 15-20 min. after a few more...$12 price tag?

I made it to clip on, or belt slide. I probably should make two kinds, one clip, one belt. What do you think?

HPIM1328__Large_.JPG

post-5140-1220017610_thumb.jpg

Those look really nice! It would take me at lot longer then 1/2 hour to try and make one! I like the design, you probably should make 2 different styles thought. I personally like the belt slide style, the clip on has tendency to get pushed off my belt somehow.

Edited by BradB

Nice job RDB, clean design too, what color have you stained those beauties?

Just a thought but would they benefit from a retaining loop and snap? I'd personally be a little worried my expensive and much loved Zippo was going to jump out... Would it be worth thinking about combining the belt slide with the retaining strap - one piece of leather to wrap around the whole thing or better still, just taper and extend the back over the top of the lighter and fit a snap to the end. Just about the same time to manufacture and fractionally more material but, IMHO, a more secure product.

The hole at the base is a great idea and I'm already planning to incorporate it into a moulded guitar tuner pouch I make. Its really difficult to get the tuner out of the case as it is a tight push fit and this would solve the problem

I like the clip idea, very neat, but I haven't had much luck with clips in the past - I keep losing 'em! I'd rather have something that slotted securely into place and stayed there!

Thanx guys, just a fun simple one.

They are oil dyed (neatsfoot and walnut oil dye mixed)

UK, The zippo aint going to fall out very soon. It's a tight mold. The finger pushing up is totally necessary.

Some people want clips, some the belt loop, I thought both might work, not sure. Like I said above, probably ought to make one or the other or both.

I have seen all the kinds you have described, with flaps, and snaps. I'm just trying to come up with something new, and not copy someone else's. It may require a dozen trips to the drawing board, especially keeping it in this type price range.

In the meantime, you could give it your own try, now that I got you thinking about it. I'm sure there's a hundred better ways to do this. That's the challenge for us, I guess.

Really neat little fella'!

Nice job and should be able to sell, perhaps. I don't know how common zippo lighters are there. Never see anyone using it here but they're available everywhere.

Tom

Really neat little fella'!

Nice job and should be able to sell, perhaps. I don't know how common zippo lighters are there. Never see anyone using it here but they're available everywhere.

Tom

Thanx Tom. Yep, they are getting rarer and rarer. The bike crowd still uses them. n this flea market crowd I'm in lately, I've had a few requests for these, and cig cases. The old rule was, if by the third time somebody asks for something, you'ld better have it.

PS: I think it was Jordan who did one awhile back, pancake, I think. I remember liking it, if that's the one.

very nice job !

I make them the conventional way.

I like your design. I think you should make both , clip & belt loop.

That way your customers have a choice.

Always like your work.

PS. Are they hand stitched ?

you could save time if you got a die made up to cut them out.,

You might also consider making them out of one long peice, with the front peice at the bottom, which is folded up and sewn at the sides, and the back flap where you are attaching the clip at the top- folded down and sewn, save you some sewing too, though it would change the look slightly.

Edited by fishguy

Thanx guys, just a fun simple one.

They are oil dyed (neatsfoot and walnut oil dye mixed)

UK, The zippo aint going to fall out very soon. It's a tight mold. The finger pushing up is totally necessary.

Some people want clips, some the belt loop, I thought both might work, not sure. Like I said above, probably ought to make one or the other or both.

I have seen all the kinds you have described, with flaps, and snaps. I'm just trying to come up with something new, and not copy someone else's. It may require a dozen trips to the drawing board, especially keeping it in this type price range.

In the meantime, you could give it your own try, now that I got you thinking about it. I'm sure there's a hundred better ways to do this. That's the challenge for us, I guess.

Hmmm.... September challenge???

I like the open design. The holder I made for my cell phone is open at the top and it's never been a problem. It's been with me through a few enthusiastic rides on some colts and and a few aerial acrobatic maneuvers when the colts got the better end of the deal.

Like you said the fit is pretty snug when it's new and molds to fit over time. Real easy to get out but good and secure at the same time.

Personally I like a belt loop since I think a clip might pop off a belt in tough times. But sure would be more convenient for folks that got better sense than to do some of things I still try to do.

Is the hole toward the bottom to make the fit better or to keep dirt from collecting? Either way seems like a good idea.

Anyways, nice clean work. Look to be be serviceable and tough.

Thanx SmokinP!

I think everyone's right, the belt loop is probably best.

Stick finger in hole push up lighter.

Craftsman..nope machine stitched. It would be a much better product, but think flea market. If the product actually sold, I would definitely offer the up model.

fishguy, you're right, and if any product sold well, or needed cost cutting, that's the only way to go in this modern world.

I've worn it all day, both ways, I kinda like it but I'm going back to the drawing board on this one.

Yup pancake style with a flap'n'snap, haven't sold too many as most bikers around here already spent their money on a cheap mass produced Harley item.

Blkzippo1.JPG

post-4868-1220069264_thumb.jpg

Yup pancake style with a flap'n'snap, haven't sold too many as most bikers around here already spent their money on a cheap mass produced Harley item.

Very nice! I really like the design. Your own I presume?

my own design yes, my own case no, the one I have is brown with no stamping.

RDB, I sent you a PM

Everything I looked at seemed overkill for a lighter...

So I tried to simplify it, even still it's too complicated. At least it's small, 3 1/2" tall by 2 1/2". Takes about 1/2 hr to cut out, oil dye, glue up and assemble ( I will get that down to about 15-20 min. after a few more...$12 price tag?

I made it to clip on, or belt slide. I probably should make two kinds, one clip, one belt. What do you think?

Where do you get the walnut oil dye?

Where do you get the walnut oil dye?

It's just Feibing's Walnut Oil Dye. I mix it into neatsfoot oil, then apply. I get mine at Zack White's, but I'm sure it's sold at all the usual suppliers.

They definitely aren't better than yours, RDB, But they are a bit different. I got a small order so I made a few extra cases to see if they would sell. For such a small item they are incredibly labor intensive and I can clearly understand why you made yours the way you did.

IMG_5721.jpg

post-6314-1223762101_thumb.jpg

On any item, it ain't a matter of better, I like seeing all the different thought processes of creation.

I like yours. I assume they have a belt loop on the back not a clip. It's fun when you get a whole bunch of little things together.

Small things always take more time it seems. I'm making some small hammer hocks for a MC around here and they are very labor intensive for what they are. Each one is taking about 45 min to complete, and it's only two pieces of molded and sewn leather in vinegaroon. I can make a fully stamped belt in that time...go figger.

I'll see if they will allow me to show them someday, not sure. It's kind of a special thing to the Club.

They definitely aren't better than yours, RDB, But they are a bit different. I got a small order so I made a few extra cases to see if they would sell. For such a small item they are incredibly labor intensive and I can clearly understand why you made yours the way you did.

Small things always take more time it seems. I'm making some small hammer hocks for a MC around here and they are very labor intensive for what they are.

Please excuse my ignorance, RDB, but wassa 'hammer hock'?

just a simple thing that has a belt loop, and holds your hammer

just a simple thing that has a belt loop, and holds your hammer

Now that would be a carpenter's hammer right?

I just had a feeling it could be one of those esoteric and faintly exotic words that one might only hear in the US and which we Brits find so fascinating - much like using the word 'gullet' when talking about saddles - that one fascinates me as well. Wassa gullet guys?

A gullet is something a turkey has in it's neck, has something to do with eating :popcorn::rofl: