Andrew Chee

Question About W&c Harness Leather

Hello all. I had some W&C harness leather a while back and as those of you who may have done this know, when you emboss the leather, the waxes cause the imprinted area to darken quite significantly. I know that this is due to the way they treat their leather. When I emboss on some other leather like skirting, it imprints nicely but does not have that darkening effect. Is there something that I can do to treat the surface of a skirting or tooling leather that would give it this effect when embossed? I have a stamp with my logo on it and I want to have the darkened effect when embossing it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Andrew

Two thin coats of extra virgin olive oil on your skirting AFTER you've tooled it and let it dry will make the impressions show up a little darker. I know what you mean about W&C's harness leather, it takes embossing very well for a finished leather.

Hi Andrew, we do a lot of coasters from skirting and I had the same problem, not enough contrast. I found by spraying a light coat of water on the surface before putting them in the heat press will create that darkened effect. Be very careful, though, too much damp and you will get (we've come to call them) - "toasters"!