Heard a lot about gum tragacanth. But I don't know why I should use it. Can someone tell me why?

Regards, Marcel

Heard a lot about gum tragacanth. But I don't know why I should use it. Can someone tell me why?

Regards, Marcel

Marcel,

Gum Tragacanth is a slicking agent used to aid in the burnishing of edges or backs of leather. It is not entirely necessary, although it is more permanent than plain water. I use it as the very last step in burnishing edges, I use water with a little saddle soap before dying and burnish the edges with that, then I dye normally, then redo the edges with Gum Trag to seal the edge. There is a lot of work to do before you start burnishing (edging and sanding). Don't use Gum Trag before dying, as most dyes will not penetrate it. Sheridan sells a product that is supposed to be a lot better, it's called Wyo Quick Slick and is water based if I'm not mistaken. I haven't tried it, but I've heard good things about it. I have a quart of Gum Trag to use before I think of buying anything new. It works, just have to follow the steps.

Chief

Hey Chief, thanks for your answer and you tips on hoe to use it. Now it's clear what it is used for. I am going to try it out. Thanks again.

Regards, Marcel

a small bottle of gum trag lasts me a long long time. I hardly ever use it.I dampen my edges with water and rub like crazy with a piece of brown shipping paper. You will get a glass smooth edge!

It can also be used to slick down the rough side of leather. For example, the inside of a holster.

Gum Tragacanth is a slicking agent used to aid in the burnishing of edges or backs of leather.

You mention the backs of leather. I've just got some 1/2 price bookmarks which I'm going to practice carving and then acrylic painting. As these are natural colour I was going to paint the edges and back as well, but I want to smooth the back of the bookmark. My question is do use Gum Tragacanth BEFORE or AFTER I've painted the back / edges?

Many thanks

You mention the backs of leather. I've just got some 1/2 price bookmarks which I'm going to practice carving and then acrylic painting. As these are natural colour I was going to paint the edges and back as well, but I want to smooth the back of the bookmark. My question is do use Gum Tragacanth BEFORE or AFTER I've painted the back / edges?

Many thanks

Harag,

I don't paint very much and never paint the back of leather. If you mean you are going to apply a stain, then you want to use gum trag after staining. Many stains will not penetrate the gum trag. If it is paint, maybe some of the great painting artists out here will chime in. I would test it first on scrap to make sure you will get the effect you want. Slicking the back isa lot of work, I normally sand them on a 3" wide belt sander, then finish sand with very fine sand paper in a sanding block. Then dye the back, let it dry thouoghly, then apply a light coat of gum trag and work feverishly with a glass burnisher or if it is narrow enough ( less than 1") I use a coco bolo burnisher in the drill press to accomplish the slicking. Like I said, experiment first on scrap. Hope that helps.

Chief