DoubleC

I Promised I'd Start A Challenge For April

I was arguing back and forth with a friend about starting these again so we could all practice thing we might not be so comfortable with. This challenge is what I call a break through challenge. I recently did a horse that I attempted to make it look like it was breaking through the leather. But you can do anything you want, although I'm going to do another horse. It can be someone breaking up through the surface of a body of water, an arrow shot through an apple, the possibilities are endless. I hope this will help us practice perspective and give a sense of motion to our projects.

For people who've never done any of the challenges here, we don't have a winner. Everyone wins that plays. We usually post our WIP for help from the other members and this is a cooperative endeavor so that hopefully when the month is over you have a piece you're proud of. You can do the image on a project if you want or just a fair sized scrap, entirely up to you. I hope you'll all try to find the time to participate because this is open to any level, from a person picking up a swivel knife for the first time, to our generous long time folks here always willing to help. Any questions feel free to ask here for everyone's benefit.

And next month I'll be handing the baton off to someone who's going to get us working on a steampunk project.

Cheryl

this is my WIP for the challenge. I'm not sure about the tears yet. Would like some feedback. I'd like to make it a wallet and have a bobcat going into the other side but I'm not sure I can pull that off. I may leave it like this. Cheryl

post-27490-0-43332000-1365274838_thumb.j

If anyone is is interested in doing this challenge please post some ideas, WIPs, anything you can think of. Again these are just for fun, not competitive and we help each other. This is practice on perspective, a different type I know but still just a perspective practice. 150 people have looked, how about jumping in and having some fun? Cheryl

I decided to try and draw a cougar for the other side, think I'm going to make this a tablet holder. Would love some feedback on it.

post-27490-0-97620400-1365366383_thumb.j

I like the idea but from the angle in the picture it is really just a cat butt... Perspective wise good work. Can't wait to see the project

Yeah I switched it to a cougar because a bob cat wouldn't be big enough....maybe I should take some creative license and switch it back. At least then maybe it would be perceived as a predator running the horse through the leather? Thanks Q for the feedback. Cheryl

I have a finalized horse now, so going to start the portfolio tomorrow. Still looking for feedback.

post-27490-0-66321900-1365473581_thumb.j

So I may be a bit late on this but here goes a little feedback for the horsey bit... The burst area has more volume than the hole would provide, so if you were to put the shards back together without the horse there would be some extra. If is not too late to change to bring the overall look of the piece together you might want to change the angle of the horse from a side view to a three quarters view. This way the overall image doesn't make it seem like there is miles inbetween the back and front. As it shows now with the drawings it looks as though sometime while being chased the horse pulls a sharp turn. Sorry if this is late. Can't wait to see it

Q you are so right and I don't know how I missed this with all the revisions. It would never go back into place as long as I have the tears. Looks like I need another revision before getting it on leather. Thanks so much. Cheryl

Cheryl the cat but is good, but the tail doesn't flair out when you get close to the tip. On the cats tail going from the but it should tapper down as you start going to the tip of the tail.

Mairi

hi Mairi, good eye!!!! I used this image on the internet to free hand the cat

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=cougar+pictures&qpvt=cougar+pictures&FORM=IQFRML&&id=6E8A43E21720B15E5143E3D3825C23E819E6D666&selectedIndex=262#view=detail&id=6E8A43E21720B15E5143E3D3825C23E819E6D666&selectedIndex=0

and I had it bookmarked so I just went back and looked and you're absolutely right. The narrowing is there at the tip and I didn't notice it when I was drawing it. You guys are really teaching ME a lot about perspective! Thanks for your feedback. Cheryl.

No problem with the feed backs Cheryl, all those years of art class kind of stuck with me I guess... Still haven't decided on what I am going to carve for this challenge... Toss up between an assassin's hidden blade puncturing through the leather or a battering ram through "wood". I think that battering ram would be fun since I could carve some shrapnel/wood chips flying toward the viewer but I am partial to the assassin's hidden blade

I've never had any art training Q so the lesson I'm trying to share here is also one I'm trying to learn. I appreciate the feedback from you both on details that should have been obvious but weren't to me. I like both your ideas and think they would be perfect for this. Have you drawn either yet to see which one you like on paper? If so please share them with us. Cheryl

After talking to Cheryl in chat some days ago, I decided to do something for the challenge too. I drew a hand that's breaking through the earth of a new grave yesterday. I will see if I can I scan it or make a picture today because I could need a little feedback too :)

Ok here is the draft. Feedback is appreciated although I will start carving this afternoon. :)

I had to upload the pic to Facebook first, because I can't upload pics from my handy or iPad to leatherworker.net

Best wishes

Jonathan

Jonathan your hand is excellent. I didn't know you were going to do a fleshed hand and those are the hardest things to draw I've been told. I've never done one. Where it's coming through doesn't look like the dirt is disturbed enough. It seems like it should be more like a crater around the arm. Like a snake hole, or groundhog hole where it's wider at the rim and the earth is higher there and then it can be matted inside the rim to make it darker there on the 'off side' where we can see inside. I hope this is making sense to you because I'm not sure it is to me :) I'm still revising so I could be wrong. I'm going to draw a quick sketch like this to see what it looks like. Cheryl

I did the arm reverse from yours just because my hand slipped but this is more what I'm talking about. Like the earth is moved out of the way. I know you can do it much better than I did but this was just a quick sketch. Cheryl

post-27490-0-57515000-1365950600_thumb.j

Hi Cheryl

I know what you mean. I will see what I can do (I already started carving, had a bad day yesterday and needed something to pound my aggressions into, lol). Maybe I can fix this on he fly. I wouldn't make it as strong as in you sketch because the viewpoint in my draft is lower than in your sketch I think, which means you wouldn't see as much ofhe crater.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm no artist and no expert in perspective as you can see.

No you are right Jonathan I think. I'm learning more about this as we go. Actually you might just be able to do some of the lines I drew without a 'crater' and make them flatter than mine. Just to indicate the earth was disturbed. I'm sorry you had a bad day yesterday Jonathan. I know whatever you do is going to turn out nice because your sketch was excellent. Don't forget some pics of WIP here. I intend to do that when I finally quit revising my picture :) Cheryl

Hiya guys! Cheryl talked me into joining yesterday.

The sketch has been removed until further notice.

Edited by RaeNae

Hi welcome aboard :) I can't see your sketch. Can you have a look if you have uploaded correctly?

I think these are my final sketches :)

Hi welcome aboard :) I can't see your sketch. Can you have a look if you have uploaded correctly?

Jonathan she did a beautiful nude but I was afraid the mods would remove it. She'll be putting it back.

post-27490-0-23611400-1365958883_thumb.j

post-27490-0-97957200-1365958884_thumb.j

Hi Cheryl

I think your sketches are great. One thing I would change is rotating the eye 90 degrees clockwise. But I think this will turn out different when craved anyway.

Jonathan

thanks Jonathan. I'm going to try and start it on leather later today after I get my lacing holes done. If you want to see the pic that was removed stop by chat and rae nae will show you. Cheryl

Hiya guys! Cheryl talked me into joining yesterday.

The sketch has been removed until further notice.

Alright, here's a sketch, along with a bit of carving I did earlier.

photo2zgx.jpgphoto5mu.jpg