DoubleC

I Promised I'd Start A Challenge For April

I saw this yesterday and really liked it. I hope you're still going to do your woman too. Also Rae, is it just me or does this make more sense if you turn it on it's side? LOL. Cheryl

Ok I feel like a jerk wad. I have been giving advice and still haven't posted what I am going to do... Sorry... Will post in a few

Q you are anything but a jerk. You have faithfully helped all of us. Cheryl

I just stumbled upon this thread today and would like to participate as well. Never done any leather work like this before.(and may not again)...but I've always had a love for whales.

Getting a late start might keep me from finishing by the end of the month, but I hope to learn some things in the process regardless.

And obviously...I don't know how to post a pic either

Whale Tail.doc

Kingdomino: just join in when you have time for it. I will maybe not have time to work on my stuff until the weekend. So no hurry here. As far as I understood Cheryl everything should be easy going in this contest :)

RaeNae: I like your design very much. One suggestion you may want to try out is to lift the segmented part a little by cutting that part loose with an exacto knife in a very flat angle. (not the whole thing only a little bit) then you can lift that part with a modeling spoon.

I'm interested in our other design too. Maybe you can send me a pm with pic or pst it in the adult section.

So here is what I did so far... Sketch is carved and beveled. I lready made an mistake. The center line between the front and back part of the grave stone shouldn't have been carved. I don't like how it looks now, but I won't start new, cause I can't afford to toss that much leather into the bin.

I will do some detail work at the hand, lift certain parts of it. At the bottom end of the arm, I will add some more lines to make it look more disturbed as suggested by Cheryl.

I will use a matter around hand, gravestone and moon/cloud to make it more 3d. The earth will get some detail with modeeling spoon more or less the same as the carved lines but only modeled.

Two ting I still have to find a decisions is how to texture the stone, because it looks so empty and wether I should add a silhouette of a bat in the upper left corner which looks empty too.

Have a nice evening

Jonathan

Edited by Jazznow

Hi Harley corn

I don't know If I can finish my project too do never mind, lol.

I like your pic very much but it looks like itll be very ambitious I think.

Good luck with that and if you need help don't hesitate to ask but i doubt that I an help ya with something lie this ;)

Yes I suppose it is rather ambitious...so far all I have is the sketch that I lifted from a "true" artist...along with a mother load of unknowns.

I plan to make it small...so not to waste too much material.

Outside of fellow leatherworkers on here....the finished project may never see the light of day.

Thanks for the feedback

I just stumbled upon this thread today and would like to participate as well. Never done any leather work like this before.(and may not again)...but I've always had a love for whales.

Getting a late start might keep me from finishing by the end of the month, but I hope to learn some things in the process regardless.

And obviously...I don't know how to post a pic either

Whale Tail.doc

Hi Harley. We would love to have you participate. I went to the blog, downloaded the image itself and putting it up here for you. When you want to post a picture just click the 'more reply options' at the bottom of the post. Welcome 'aboard' LOL. Beautiful sketch. Cheryl

post-27490-0-56785300-1366143385_thumb.j

Kingdomino: just join in when you have time for it. I will maybe not have time to work on my stuff until the weekend. So no hurry here. As far as I understood Cheryl everything should be easy going in this contest :)

RaeNae: I like your design very much. One suggestion you may want to try out is to lift the segmented part a little by cutting that part loose with an exacto knife in a very flat angle. (not the whole thing only a little bit) then you can lift that part with a modeling spoon.

I'm interested in our other design too. Maybe you can send me a pm with pic or pst it in the adult section.

http://www.facebook....65&l=4ba2b064f6

So here is what I did so far... Sketch is carved and beveled. I lready made an mistake. The center line between the front and back part of the grave stone shouldn't have been carved. I don't like how it looks now, but I won't start new, cause I can't afford to toss that much leather into the bin.

I will do some detail work at the hand, lift certain parts of it. At the bottom end of the arm, I will add some more lines to make it look more disturbed as suggested by Cheryl.

I will use a matter around hand, gravestone and moon/cloud to make it more 3d. The earth will get some detail with modeeling spoon more or less the same as the carved lines but only modeled.

Two ting I still have to find a decisions is how to texture the stone, because it looks so empty and wether I should add a silhouette of a bat in the upper left corner which looks empty too.

Have a nice evening

Jonathan

Jonathan I love your piece and think it turned out awesome. I don't think the line of the stone looks like a mistake. In answer to your questions I have some ideas and hope the one for the stone works. The bat is a matter of preference and I wouldn't add it because to me nature is seldom symmetric, but it won't ruin the picture.

I was trying to think about how gravestones look. They aren't really marbled, but they do have a texture to them, some kinda rough. If I was going to try and get that look I would use a pear shader sparingly to make some places darker that others like a stone is. Also the smaller the better. You don't want it too busy I don't think. Also you mentioned your spoon so maybe that would work even better to indicate some texture.

It's an awesome piece. Cheryl

Jonathan - I actually already had that in mind. Lol. I'll be posting more after a little while.

At the request of C and Rae I figured why not try something fun eh? I need to fix the lettering a bit and possibly angle the hammer but hey considering my drawing skills are garbage (literally had to push them to their limit for this and all i had was pen) I think it will look great on leather and in color. Opinions?

903150 10152710167935324 220348648 O

Reg I think you did an incredible job on whipping this up, and I'm so glad you decided to join us. My only suggestion would be to leave the drops off the back wall because I'm not exactly sure what they are, lol. I think you did an excellent job on perspective and can't wait to see it finished. Cheryl

that would be the blood dripping off the hammer. I thought about it and said yknow...getting hit with the hammer of Thor there would most definitely be blood so why not lol.

Well that's a good point. I think it would definitely hurt :)

Hi all.

Like that Hammer very much. Dont wanna get it on my head lol. Keep on going and let us see how it turn out on leather.

Cheryl: the pear shader is a great idea. The spoon too. I will experiment on some scraps to find out what to use. I'm thinking about pushing some 80 grit sandpaper flat on the surface of the stone which could look cool too. Scraps will show. I will make pics so you can see the difference.

Greetings

Jonathan

Jonathan I love the idea of sandpaper. You're thinking much faster outside the box than I am and I can't wait to see it. Hurry up ok? LOL.Cheryl

Did a redraw of Mjolnir on tracing paper (probably should have just traced the pic but redrew it instead) so i can do it on leather. The one on the right is the now finalized image I will be doing compared to the original on the left.

redraw

Reg the pictures is awesome. I can't wait to see it on leather. Cheryl

If I was to livestream the tooling and carving would anyone want to watch?

And now broadcasting. going to be tracing then carving etc etc. check it out right here :D im also in the vchat on here

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/earth-forge-leathers

Streaming right now and tooling at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/earth-forge-leathers

And johnathan try craftool E249 for gravestone. i love it as a rock texturer

And here is the end image of my challenge entry (still need to dye and paint it though). DoubleC watched me the entire time I did this on the livestream. From start to finish it took about 2 hours and I couldnt be too much happier. And yes...the words are carved in with a ballpoint pen lol. They are the one area that would make me happier but oh well. Hope you enjoy.

thor

-Chris

Not bad Chris.

Ok so I finally drew something while I supposed to be listening to the most boring person lecture in things that I could teach her about and now I have to think about what to have her bursting throughpost-37236-0-02898900-1366261242_thumb.j

Edited by KingDominoQ

Harley quinn..... ::drool:: have her bursting through a playing card!

You guys have out done yourself, and now I have two finished entries, and a wonderful drawing and I've found myself stuck in gear spinning mode. Haven't started on putting mine to leather yet although I have a nice clean room too work in now, so maybe today's the day? Wish me a little luck or at least some energy :) Q love your Harley Quinn, can't wait to see what you decide to do with it. And reg your dye is going to look awesome on your piece.