DoubleC

I Promised I'd Start A Challenge For April

Thanks Harley.

I am going to start it when I get home from work. I am going to do it on a piece that I could use for something if it turns out ok (not much faith that it will)!!! I think the hardest part for me is keeping the lines of the face smooth and flowing. That is what makes the picture in my point.

If this turns out I may have to do some good Old Nagels on leather too. Here are a couple of my drawings of them for the heck of it.

post-38210-0-13561900-1366987993_thumb.j

post-38210-0-03341100-1366988000_thumb.j

Have you looked through any of Al Stohlman's books of figure carving?

Edited by Harley Corns

I have not had a chance to pick any of them up or read through any of them. I was going to attend a figure carving class at the Tandys out here but couldnt make it on the day they had it.

I have heard that they are very good books to have though.

I found his book "Figure Carving Finesse" to very informative and helpful,and IMO...while its rather pricey,its well worth the investment.(in fact I think Tandy has it on sale in May.($18)

After seeing your excellent drawings, I believe you'll be interested in what he shows and demonstrates on portrait carving ,beveling,etc.to help make the images appear lifelike.

Welcome, welcome aguilerag, we're excited to have you. I think your drawings are excellent and next month we're doing figure carving so I hope you join us then too. It's not too late, this is no stress, have fun and if you learn something that's just gravy.

Jonathan in answer to your questions I've never had any luck with resolene as a resist for anything but antique. but if you're painting you don't need to resist anything. If you're going to use dyes that will be another matter. But for the background and stone you can add the white and blues right in with the paint to get the shades you want. you don't have to paint twice. The acrylics mix very well with each other. Just be sure and add water to them so they don't look too thick on the leather and do light coats. I can't wait to see it finished. Cheryl

Hi double c.

I'm afraid I wasn't expressing what I'm going to do clear enough. I will use dyes, not acrylics (I don't have any :) ). So I will see what I could come up with. It's all about experimenting and learning, isn't it :)

Have a nice evening

Harley, thanks...I will see if I can get that one.

DoubleC, thanks. I will start doing these cause its a great way to learn new thing I beleive.

Jonathan I use resist block out with dyes. I thought maybe you meant paint when you mentioned the white because I've never had any white dye because I've heard it doesn't really come out white. But if your dyes are that same kind that can be mixed too, and you can always 'paint' the dyes on if you don't have any block out. However you do it, I think it's going to be awesome because the tooling is. Cheryl

And aguilerag I'm glad you're going to be doing the challenges. I think they are a fun way to learn new things. Cheryl

Edited by DoubleC

Just a passing thought Cheryl, Take a sheet of paper the size of overall project.cut the lines of bust out . fold them back the way you want.. Take a picture and print out for a eye guide as you work. yuo could draw the figures to proportion. Jazznow. you think the arm should be about 15 degrees to the left with dirt falling off? Joe

Thanks Stewart, that's good feedback. I'll try that. Cheryl

Hi, folks! I undercut the "tears" and dyed everything. So I'm just gonna call it finished for my first dye project.

photo31pu.jpgphoto30lb.jpg

Rae it looks awesome. You did a great job. Cheryl

Hi Stewart,

Thanks for the advice. It's a little late, but I will think about it, when doing it again :)

Rae, your carving is very cool. Turned out awesome.

I did coloring today and it turned out ok. I don't like coloring vey much because you can make so much wrong, lol. But this time there were only a few minor mistakes. Have a look:

I'm glad it's finally done. Now I can finish that damn laptop bag for my mum and make myself a new cell phone pouch :)

Have a nice Sunday

Jonathan

Jonathan that is a superb job. I love the way the coloring came out. What happened to the 'no stress' part of this, LOL. This was supposed to be fun. Hurry up on your bag and pouch because Rae's challenge on the human form starts in two days, LOL. You think you're stressed? I still have 1/2 a portfolio to do for this before the new challenge. Seriously very nice job. Cheryl

OK the horse and cougar are carved and tooled. I'm getting ready to dye them unless someone has some suggestions. I have to get some resolene on them for overnight so I can antique it tomorrow. I am way behind you guys, sorry. Cheryl

Oh that's my new swivel knife holder in the picture. A friend of mine made it :)

I looked at these on here and they are still difficult to see the burnishing but they are darker than this although this HO was very light and nice. Hopefully it'll show better with the dye.

post-27490-0-64410100-1367172624_thumb.j

post-27490-0-35374700-1367172630_thumb.j

Edited by DoubleC

I think your horse would of made a bigger hole when it came through unless it's head was between it's legs when it came through. You tears on the panther are going the wrong way unless it's backing out. If the panther is headed in the tears would be going inside.

I tried to indicate the tears where going in by making them dark like the hole, to make them look further away. But the dye job went wonky on me and what's supposed to be dark came out light, and i decided I liked it John. So I'm going to leave it like this, like a photo negative. Thanks for your help. Cheryl

post-27490-0-47322700-1367200913_thumb.j

I want to thank all the challengers that joined me for this. I learned so much from you all. And don't forget Rae Nae's challenge starts tomorrow so head back for some more fun. Cheryl

Hey Cheryl

Thanks for bringing this Contest back to life. It was very fun and I learned very much, too.

I like how your horse turned out. Only thing the size of the hole. I didn't realize that until dirt cloud mentioned it lol. But altogether I think it turned out great :)

I think I will skip the next challenge because I have to much to do (and I'm not feeling ready for faces yet ^^). I think you mentioned a steampunk challenge sometime. I will join ths for sure (could even make it, but this could need some preparation time)

Have an ice day

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan, I'm glad you enjoyed the challenge. Yes Q is going to do a steam punk challenge for us but didn't have the time for it this month. They are a little bit of work but I enjoyed all of it. Hope to see you soon. Cheryl