Sign in to follow this  
mato

Water/weather Proofing

ok guy's i have been reading all about diffrent finishes ans dyes but i want to know your tips and tricks when it comes to water proofing you gear like seats and saddle bags

I am going to building a solo saddle bag soon and i am going to get some new sprit/oil dyes (the water based ones i have used are just realy crappy and i dont get the finish i want)

Thanks Mat

Edited by mato

Others on here might have had better success than me but I've found that with veg tanned you can get it somewhat water repellent but not water proof. I've been using horse butt lately and it seems to be better at repelling water.

Edited by bustedlifter

you can get it somewhat water repellent but not water proof.

NOTHING is water PROOF :)

I get pretty good water resistance off of stuff like Resolene with a good wax conditioner such as Pecards Motorcycle Dressing or Montana Pitch Blend. Both of those are actually marketed as finishes themselves, but they're more of a temporary finish requiring reapplication. Resolene will seal things up pretty well. I'm not sure how any of the lacquer products hold up to water since I've never really tested it. I know some other people have good results with Sno Seal and Aussie's.

NOTHING is water PROOF :)

I get pretty good water resistance off of stuff like Resolene with a good wax conditioner such as Pecards Motorcycle Dressing or Montana Pitch Blend. Both of those are actually marketed as finishes themselves, but they're more of a temporary finish requiring reapplication. Resolene will seal things up pretty well. I'm not sure how any of the lacquer products hold up to water since I've never really tested it. I know some other people have good results with Sno Seal and Aussie's.

Cyber dosent the Resolene need to be sealed or is it a sealer in it self ?

ans i ahev heard of sno seal but what is Aussie's

Edited by mato

Cyber dosent the Resolene need to be sealed or is it a sealer in it self ?

ans i ahev heard of sno seal but what is Aussie's

sorry, I shouldn't always reply when I'm exhausted - Aussies is a conditioner from Fiebings formulated for dry weather. I was also looking for good deals on Roo hides yesterday, so something must have combined products in my head - not what I meant to recommend.

http://www.fiebing.com/catalogue/conditioners-cleaners/?product=114

Well, I wasn't really recommending this. But, I have heard of people using it with success. So, for reference, here's the actual product. It's the Leather Balm with Atom Wax.

http://www.fiebing.com/catalogue/top-finishes/?product=196'>http://www.fiebing.com/catalogue/top-finishes/?product=196

Now, for Resolene :)

It is an acrylic top coat that does not need to be sealed. However, in order to get a clean application, you MUST use a 50/50 mix of it with water. It's just way too thick out of the bottle to do anything right. You'll want to use 2 coats of 50/50 at a bare minimum if things won't be subjected to heavy exposure. I would normally lean to 4 coats of the 50/50 mix though. Water will still penetrate (because nothing is water proof), but it will take a lot of soaking. I also like to add a good wax conditioner on top to offer a protective layer that can also be buffed and shined.

http://www.fiebing.com/catalogue/top-finishes/

I use Fiebing's Aussie conditioner and like it. Cyber is right nothing is waterproof. If my scooter is out in the rain, my butt gets wet. There are worse things in life than that.

I use Fiebing's Aussie conditioner and like it.

Do you have to reapply it regularly in order for it to hold up reliably, or do you have something else underneath it? Someday I'll try some out for myself, but until then - people who have used it will have to do :)

I'm not the best when it comes to putting stuff on my leather. I might put something on it once in awhile but that's about it. The only thing under the Aussie is black dye or on a very rare occasion, BIC permanent marker. After I tool and dye the piece, I like to throw it on the dash of our Blazer in the sun to get it good and warmed up. Then I put a pretty good amount of Aussie on a rag and work it in a bit. After that it's back on the dash until it's soaked in. In winter i do the same only in the oven on low.

I'm not the best when it comes to putting stuff on my leather.

Me neither........That's why I try to get stuff that's Lazy Proof, because I know my customers are likely to be just like me :)

Me neither........That's why I try to get stuff that's Lazy Proof, because I know my customers are likely to be just like me :)

Haha,yup! The upside to not putting stuff on it too much is that weathered leather looks really cool. I've been using Aussie with horsebutt lately and been happy with the results.

Edited by bustedlifter

Guy's thanks for the replys and info lots of valuable information :taptap:

To finish my work I'm using Fiebings snowproof , the best way to prevent bleeding it's applying that on warm leather, I'm quite satysfied for now.

ok cool when you say warm do you mean just leaving in the sun for an hour or two or using a heat gun ????

When the sun is out I like to put it on the Blazer dashboard for a bit depending on how warm it is. In winter it's either in the oven on low or in the windows of our enclosed porch depending on how cold it is. A heat gun should work well, too. I'm not too specific on times and stuff as I think that it isn't rocket science and I do what works for me. I once made a practice seat and left it outside, unintentionally at the start, for about 6 months in all sorts of weather and it looks pretty cool.

Edited by bustedlifter

just finished a tool bag and used SnoSeal. Works greats. Ive used SnoSeal on boots for about 20 years since I was in the army. some boots came out completely water proof. I always use the oven method. hope this helps

ok cool when you say warm do you mean just leaving in the sun for an hour or two or using a heat gun ????

Heat gun but carefully

I can't wait for this to hit the market: http://www.wbir.com/...fing-technology Watch the video, This super Hydrophibic technology will change everything!

Just amazing! I have heard from military members that rave about it. Finally, a product that scares water off of surfaces!

Edited by stitchwizzard

Wow! I just found a source for the Hydrophobic chemical! Check out the video with the leather boot demo. http://www.spillcontainment.com/everdry I am putting this on the next bike seat I do.

Stitch~

We manufacture a lot of leather products for the aftermarket motorcycle industry,a good place to start is with some good Latigo leather.Second I would suggest Aussie,Skidmores,or a product which contains a good amount of beeswax.Good luck..

I use snow seal with good results. I apply it then use heatgun to melt into leather. The water beads up real nice after

I use Fiebings Aussie, several coats and dry in between...works good.