Sherkhan1962

Self Made Awl Haft, Sheath And Blade

A quick visit on the forum to post some photos of an awl made for... I don't tell you now, perhaps they do not want me to say that (I have to meet one of their directors first to be sure that I can ) and you will hardly believe me anyway; maybe later. Comments about the materials used are directly on the photos. The second awl is less "luxury" (and I plan to sell some - drop me a line if you are interested).

Fred

post-37938-0-34619900-1365443605_thumb.j

post-37938-0-19718600-1365443716_thumb.j

post-37938-0-45335300-1365443741_thumb.j

Nice..

These look really nice. How are the awl blades secured to the hafts? Would you be interested in making awl blades to specific specifications?

I'm thinking about somehow getting awl blades that will fit into a 441 clone sewing machine so the shafts would have to be a specific diameter and length.

What's the ballpark price on your work?

Andrew

This is something I'd like to try, they look good and thought through.

Can you PM me some details and costs Fred?

Nigel

Your work looks very nice. I am in general pretty good at making things but I have never been able to get an awl blade straight and truy (hard to see so small). I am impressed (even though I was sitting there trying to read what it says in the pic until I realized I should look at the words on the other side).

Aaron

These look really nice. How are the awl blades secured to the hafts? Would you be interested in making awl blades to specific specifications?

I'm thinking about somehow getting awl blades that will fit into a 441 clone sewing machine so the shafts would have to be a specific diameter and length.

What's the ballpark price on your work?

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

The blades are simply inserted by force, but I am thinking about adding a little screw in the ferrule pressing on a flat done on the blade. The ferrule is a plumbery plug by far thick enough for tapping a little hole, so it should work. Another option is to add a Dremel keyless chuck of a much better quality compared to those found on most hafts (but consequently more costly).

Yes, I can study specific awl blades. Send me a sketch with dimensions of what you would like and I can make a prototype for trial. According to the time it took me to make the first blades, which can probably decrease with practice, they should not cost more than twice the Osborne blades - but fully and individually handmade and shipped sharpenned like a razor.

Hafts will be around 20 to 25 Euros in Ash and Sapele like on the photo, a little bit more if selling on Ebay (listing fees and percentage on the sales) but for a haft made of fine exotic hardwood the extra is simply the cost of the turning blank itself, usually around 6 to 15 Euros according to the wood specie (the work to make it is the same but not the price of the wood). I do not use a copier on my lathe: like the blades each haft is individually crafted.

Here is my email: sherkhan1962@hotmail.com

And here is the link toward a temporary page added to my website, from which you can see the saddler's clamps I make and download a brochure:

http://www.crafts-de...lamps_page.html

Cheers,

Fred