buzzkiller

So, I Finally Bought A Machine But...

After a couple years dancing around it I got a hold of a machine. The person I purchased it from didn't have a whole lot of knowledge about holster/sheath making. With the purchase he set the machine up, got the tensions adjusted in and rocking and rolling. The thread spool he threw in is T70 69. With my limited (none) knowledge of thread weights, these numbers may as well be the doomsday launch codes to a nuclear arsenal. It just appears the thread is a whole lot "thinner" than what I am used to seeing on holsters. I didn't expect it to be as thick as what I use for hand stitching but it is really thin. Does this sound like the correct weight thread to be using on hip holsters, IWB and knife sheathes?

what make and model machine did you get? T70 69 is nylon upholstery thread. I use 270 for sheaths and holsters. some use a combination of heavier thread on top (270) and lighter thread on the bobbin (207).

For a rough comparison of machine thread to hand sewing linen thread, a four strand linen thread is roughly equivalent to a size 207 thread. Three strand is about a 138, and 69 is about a one strand so it's pretty thin. Way too thin for holsters and sheaths. For those, you need a size 207 and higher at least. I don't do holsters so I don't use stuff that thick. Don't know what machine you got exactly but if your machine was set up for 69 thread, I highly doubt it will handle 270 thread.

Andrew

Your machine may handle heavier thread (you didn't say what you bought) but 69 thread is NOT for holsters. You might get away with 138 on the gun BELT.

Did you try the machine with the thickness of leather you use on holsters? What make and model sewing machine did you buy?

Sorry, not sure why I didn't put the model on here. It's a Kingmax 1541s. I took several configurations of leather and ran it on the machine. I started with two layers of 7-8 glued together and it handled it then with 3 layers glued. For the 3 layers it took a little hand assist but went through it as well. This was with the 69 thread. Just had one of those "you have to be kidding me" moments. While adjusting the settings on the motor and practicing on some scrap, it appears the screw holding the needle in worked its way out and the needled got pinned under the foot and bent at nearly a right angle. Needless to say, it was a booger getting it out. Apparently the screw went flying and I have been crawling around on the floor looking for it with no success.

I use 277 prelubricated bonded nylon thread and a size 25 needle for holsters, sheathes, and gunbelts...

Hey, friend, . . . congratulations, . . . welcome to the wonderful world of runaway sewing machines.

Couple things you will come to understand:

You almost never make an extra hole or two where you didn't want it hand stitching, . . . machines do that on any given day you look out the window.

You never have to check out the amount of thread on the bobbin when hand stitching.

Hand stitching never needs taken apart, . . . cleaned, . . . greased, . . . oiled, . . . put back together, . . . then taken apart again because you put it back together wrong the first time.

You never have to send your hand needles back to the factory for calibration, testing, or adjustments: not so with machines.

But other than that, . . . machine sewing is fun, . . . quick, . . . and if you are like me, . . . machine stitching tends to look much more "uniform".

On my holsters, belts, even wallets, . . . I use 346 thread almost exclusively, . . . 277 only on special projects, . . . never drop down to 207, . . . and have been known to bump up to 406 if the project needs the beefy look of the fatter thread (which is not very often).

I get mine from Tandy, . . . it has some kind of coating on it, . . . parrafin I suppose, . . . anyway, it works good.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Thanks for the input guys. In light of what happened with the machine yesterday I contacted the dealer I purchased it from. I spoke with the owner who agreed the machine was just not going to be heavy duty enough for what I was needing. He immediately offered to apply my purchase price to a juki 441/comparable con sew or a full refund.

I had prepared for the worst but they didn't hesitate on helping me (even though my lack of research was a major contribution to the problem). Since the machine wasn't a special order they didn't ask for a restocking fee that is so common these days.

Throughout the day I have done more research here on the forums, private messages and some calls. I opted for a refund and called Jim at Tippman to pick his brain. Later in the day I called back and ordered a Boss.

I'm usually pretty quick to point out bad service, I only think its fair to mention good experiences. The folks at Cutting/Sewing Room Equipment in Atlanta were very professional and accommodating with my issue. If I am ever looking for a upholstery machine or the like, I will contact them without hesitation.

It's funny what people consider heavy duty in the regular world and what people consider heavy duty on this board. That kingmax machine is no lightweight sewing machine but for the purposes of this board it's only considered a medium weight machine. Folks on this board focus a lot on holsters and sheaths type of work and that would be considered super heavy duty to the rest of the world.

Andrew