samcolt45

Considering Alternative Tools For Pre-Sewing-Prep Tools

I'm contemplating ditching two of my tools for (namely my groover and overstitch wheel) for less-irritating alterbatives. Both of mine are, Tandy Brand (which despite being a potential root of my aggrevation) have a habit of slipping and veering off course during use, no matter how slow I try to use them.

While a metal ruler or square provides a quick fix for enabling me to still use a groover, the fact that the overstitch wheel makes it difficult to see the groove line without positioning myself directly over top of my work doesn't help matters. So, I've been contemplating buying a multiple diagonal-prong stiching chisel. Since my projects are primarily holsters, I'm unsure what prong distance would be best.

Also, While S/L offers quite a few for lacing and thonging, (the latter term of which is unfamiliar to me) I'm unable to find a stitching model with a diagonal prong configuration.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob Boyd

AKA Samcolt45

Not sure it's what you're looking for but I have Tandy's diamond hole chisel set on my next purchase list. They have a video using it on their website and I have found past threads using it with success.

A screw-crease can mark your line and a pricking iron is superior to a wheel IMHO. There may be some applications for your groover when you want the stitching below surface.

Edited by Fowlingpiece

Thanks for the suggestion guys

For a cheap answer, a small fork works great. I despise over stich wheels.

Or for a pricking iron, goodsjapan is great. Reasonable prices and very good tools.

Aaron

Well of course overstitich wheels aren't meant for marking out. I find they tend to meander, even within a stitching groover. I like English pricking irons. Got a nice racer on the way but I don't like sinking stitching that much; it changes the neat 'toppled domino' look and I think its necessity is overstated, especially when using linen thread and stickywax.