Brazos Jack

1800's Pommel Bags

Here is a gift for all y'all! This is a pattern set for Pommel Bags from the mid 1800"s I made some time back. For anyone who has a copy of Packing Iron, you may recognize these cuz that is what inspired the pattern.

Remember: when you have these printed tell them to set the Page Scaling to NONE!

Enjoy and show off them pictures!

Jim

Pommel Bag Instructions.pdf

Pommel Bag Patterns.pdf

Pommel Bag Carving Patterns.pdf

post-39965-0-62117200-1365765819_thumb.j

Edited by Brazos Jack

Nice! Thanks for sharing!!

Karina

Here's another photo of the open bag to give you look at the attached holster.

Jim

post-39965-0-70390000-1365807044_thumb.j

Those are great patterns. Thanks I can just imagine how much work that went in to that.

It was a labor of love, I'll tell you that - mostly because I said to myself "Self, I'd love to make one of those!" I made the one in the photo in 1998 and displaed them at various shows until one day in Illinois a fellow came in the tent and said "I want THAT!" Didn't ask the price and didn't care. He was decorating his office in Old West decor and said it was the perfect item to have.

The patterns which were made on beer carton and cereal box sat in a box with many others until I decided to put it on paper and get it where it would the most good - in the hand of folks like you! It's just one of many unpublished patterns that I intend to post here for download. So keep an eye out folks, there's more where these came from!

Enjoy!

Jim

AWESOME!!

Thanks for sharing your work Jim

I was just asked about possibly making one of these for a walker colt.... Thanks so much!

That is cool! Thanks for sharing! I don't do western stuff often, but the assorted strap billet designs will be cool to use on other projects.

looks to me like it is 6-7 Oz

what thickness of leather is used to make one?

I used 8 ounce leather and recommend that wieght for the pouch and flap. The gusset can be made of the lighter 6 - 7 ounce.

Jim

Edited by Brazos Jack

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate these patterns.

Thanks Jack. I know all my friends will want one when I finish mine!!!

I am really looking forward to see some pictures of finished bags and want to see what y'all do with the carving patterns.

Caint wait, caint wat, caint wait.

Brazos Jack

This is off topic from the pomel bags but I made one of those shoulder holsters from the patterns you sent me

I want to get some pictures of it uploaded as soon as I am able to find a way to get the pictures uploaded from my camera to my computer.

Brazos Jack

This is off topic from the pomel bags but I made one of those shoulder holsters from the patterns you sent me

I want to get some pictures of it uploaded as soon as I am able to find a way to get the pictures uploaded from my camera to my computer.

Am looking forward to see the photos. Did everything work the way it should?

Jim

Ya the patterns worked very good.I did not deviate from your instructions so everything went together nicely

I did use harness leather for everything as I mentioned to you except I used 2-3 oz Veg tan for the lining.

I have to say that harness leather is a pleasure to work with, that stuff is like sewing butter.

Jim ....looking forward to putting this to use ASAP. Interested in other patterns you would like to share!

Much appreciated!!

I have a stack of unpublished patterns sitting on the shelf but they are too darn big (file wise) to post on the forum. Mexican Loop Holsters, Shot Shell Slides, Bullet Slides for Cowboy Action Shooting, and the list goes on.

My wife talked me into going to the gun show here in Snyder a couple of weeks ago and met up with some Cowboy Shooters and got persuaded to sign up and shoot. It was a great chance to pull my gun rig out of retirement and made another shot shell slide last week end to get fully geared up. Last friday I went to Dudley, texas and bought myself a genuine Henry Repeater in .45 Long Colt. He ordered a Coach Gun for me to pick up as soon as it gets here, so looks like I'm coming out of retirement for leatherwork cuz now I need some scabbards!

Enough rambling though, But when I can figure out how to down size the file size, I will be posting mor pattern for you fine folks.

And thanks to everyone for your continuing support,

Jim

Jim

I would love to see more of your patterns for sure!

I am in the middle of making a set of these bags..great job on the patterns! And thank you so much for sharing :)