humperdingle

Chicago Screws Instead Of Rivets?

Does anyone routinely use chicago screws instead of rivets?

I'm finding these cheap little rivets (2 piece) are just not particularly strong, and bend way too easily.

I normally stitch aswell, but like to add a little something metal for high stress points. The chicago screws just seem much more solid, although more expensive.

Oh, and do users tend to put threadlock on the threads?

Edited by humperdingle

I use semi tubular rivets with washers when I need something to be permanent..

I use Chicago screws in some areas. Especially areas I might want to be removable like handles and straps. The onlyproblemmwith Chicago screws is that the shortest closed end ones are 1/4". If you want shorter then you have to get open end Chicago screws which look a little different.

Andrew

I routinely use Chicago screws after finding the rivets I had didn't stay in place. I haven't put threadlock on mine in the past but it's definitely something I will try from now on. Cheryl

My opinion is that jiffy rivits are pretty much worthless. Use tubular rivits or chicago screws if you want it to hold.

Aaron

I routinely use Chicago screws after finding the rivets I had didn't stay in place. I haven't put threadlock on mine in the past but it's definitely something I will try from now on. Cheryl

That's what i'm trying to avoid... I'd hate to make something for somebody else only for a rivet to come undone after a while.

My opinion is that jiffy rivits are pretty much worthless. Use tubular rivits or chicago screws if you want it to hold.

Aaron

Yep, finding that myself. These tubular rivets seem more common in the states... Might have to try and find a UK supplier. Having said that, if I can bulk buy chicago screws, it may work out cheap enough.

I dont see the need for rivets if the stitching is good, imo it may even weaken the strap.

I dont see the need for rivets if the stitching is good, imo it may even weaken the strap.

Rivets, snaps, and Chicago screws are some ways to hold the chape end of the belt closed so the buckle doesn't fall off but with screws or snaps you can change the buckle. It also holds the keeper in place. I personally use Chicago screws. Gun metal black on most belts. Copper rivets have their place too.

yes I understand the use of rivets/chicago screws instead of stitching but why have both?

That's what i'm trying to avoid... I'd hate to make something for somebody else only for a rivet to come undone after a while.

Yep, finding that myself. These tubular rivets seem more common in the states... Might have to try and find a UK supplier. Having said that, if I can bulk buy chicago screws, it may work out cheap enough.

Abbey Saddlery has em for a good price.

yes I understand the use of rivets/chicago screws instead of stitching but why have both?

In my case they serve different purposes. I stitch the belt along the edge, 1/8" in from the edge, and use the chicago screws to hold the chape closed. I use screws so I can change buckles. If I stitched it closed I could not change buckles.

Hello,

I do alot of repair work and also custom saddles and chaps and other good. I use jiffy rivets, tubular rivets and copper rivets all the time and also take all three out routinely. If set properly any one of the three will hold well, trust me as I go through a lot of drill bits, the key is the length, with the jiffey and tubular rivets anyway, the copper can be cut to any length. If the proper length jiffy rivet is set it will hold like iron. When setting jiffy rivets you must use a domer on top and have a 1/16 or so of the male end of the rivet sticking up through the leather.as that allows the stud to properly mushroom out in the female head part. For reinforcing at the end of a stictch line I will use #14 copper rivets, small, cheap and cost effective by the pound, for a little more hold step up to a # 12 copper rivet. I also use chicago screws on belt ends, bit ends on headstalls, occasionally, and anywhere you want something to come apart with a little ease. When using chicago screws a bit of blue loctite or fingernail polish will hold fairly well but still allow them to come apart if needed such as on conchos for chaps legs. Everythhing has there specific use you just need to decide what is right at any given point to use. One point to consider is that most rivets use a smaller hole in the leather than chicago screws, thereby weakening the leather less. Just my $.02. Happy riveting.