Lwleather

Looking For High Density Foam Padding

The time has come where I need to build a pair of pick-up chaps. Where do you get your high density foam padding? Thanks for any help!

Lot's to choose from here. They have pretty good prices and really fast turn around.

http://www.foamforyou.com/neoprene.htm

Thanks for that link, I was looking for high density foam for my press.

That's the source that David Theobold recommended for his seat foam, so I gave them a shot with his endorsement :)

I bought some foam for my press from www.knifekits.com They have it in pre cut smaller pieces, but it's an inch thick. I love the foam for the press, but it's too thick for these leggings I'm thinking. Also, thanks Cyberthrasher, I think that's what I'm looking for.

Can you compare this foam with a 40 durometer in relation to hardness?

I'm looking for something less than 40.

Kevin

I bought some foam for my press from www.knifekits.com They have it in pre cut smaller pieces, but it's an inch thick. I love the foam for the press, but it's too thick for these leggings I'm thinking. Also, thanks Cyberthrasher, I think that's what I'm looking for.

Can you compare this foam with a 40 durometer in relation to hardness?

I'm looking for something less than 40.

Kevin

Honestly Kevin, I have no idea... The foam I got from knife kits is awesome for holsters. That's what I'm using it for anyway... I don't know how to tell on the density. It's very dense stuff.... Sorry I'm not much help... If you can tell me how to check it without some fancy tool, I'll sure help you out.. :cowgirl:

Lisa;

If you squeeze it between your thumb and index finger and it doesn't move, it will be close to 40 durometer.

Lisa;

If you squeeze it between your thumb and index finger and it doesn't move, it will be close to 40 durometer.

Try this, maybe this will help....

post-10930-0-62918100-1365961704_thumb.j

Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to do that, it looks like it's less than 40, I'll give it a try.

+1 for foam for you

Also Index now has foam.

If you are still searching, check with a podiatrist. The stuff they use for temporary orthotics and pads is 1/4" and real dense + closed cell

If you are still searching, check with a podiatrist. The stuff they use for temporary orthotics and pads is 1/4" and real dense + closed cell

Thanks!

Know this is getting a little old, but outdoor wilderness fabrics has closed cell foam in different thickness that may be what you are looking for. Nice folks too. OWFINC.COM

Edited by blue duck

I just received my foam from knife kits and it's softer than the 40 durometer.

I'm looking forward to testing it.

I like the padding I get from Weaver leather. It's 1/4" thick and it dense. It's a little more dense than memory foam. only no memory. It doesn't spring back fast.

post-39369-0-96313000-1372048126_thumb.j

I just received my foam from knife kits and it's softer than the 40 durometer.

I'm looking forward to testing it.

I hope it's what you're looking for.

Thanks everyone. Will get some ordered.

Go to Walmart and in in the camping area and try the blue 1/2" foam mats for sleeping on it works in chaps and chin guards as well.

Check out Gary at http://www.garysupholstery.com/foam.html He has all densities and thicknesses. MLC closed cell and is really dense and heavy but still gives a bit. HR70A is soft but still firm if that makes sense. He can send you samples if you can't figure it out over the phone.