Hi all!

Second post here. I recently ordered a 6-7oz tooling shoulder from Tandy Leather Factory. The quality is fine, not amazing, but fine for what I'm doing with it. However, I wanted to see how some black dye would look on it so I cut some scrap off of it and tried to dye it (Gloves, wool dauber) and I found that the dye mostly just pooled on the surface of the grain and barely absorbed in. I could get it fairly well in after MANY coats, but I'm wondering why this is happening? It DOES look quite smooth, but is that it? I tried it out with an old round I had and the scrap side by side and the round absorbed the dye straight away but the newer shoulder just had dye sitting on top... Any advice? Will I need to sand it down or something?

Concerned,

R.

One of the drawbacks to ordering is that you can't see what you're getting....sometimes hides have glossy areas that will not take the dye as well unfortunately...I am fairly new to leatherwork, but a lady told me to avoid hides with lots of glossy areas...my only suggestion is before starting a project make sure you avoid using parts of the hide that are glossy...just a wild guess, but maybe wetting the leather before dyeing would help the leather absorb the dye more readily....hopefully someone with more experience can chime in..

You would be well served to use the search window on this forum, . . . it will give you many more answers to your question, and proably help you more.

May God bless,

Dwight

It would also help if you said what kind of dye you are using.

I use Fiebings Pro oil dye and I never have a problem with the dye penetrating. It could be the leather though, especially if it was one of those 20 dollar shoulders. I order all my leather from Wickett and Craig. I don't have to worry much about not seeing it because I know it will be good quality leather. Tandy is hit or miss though, I do order those 20 dollar shoulders when they are on sale and sell them in my store, I'm upfront with people about the quality but they usually go to new people that don't want to spend a lot.

If all else fails use some dye prep or something similar, it should open up the pores and let the dye absorb. I wouldn't suggest sanding it though. The only time I ever had issues with black dye absorbing was on certain molded areas where I rubbed it too much and burnished the leather which prevented the dye from penetrating. In those cases I basically rubbed the dye in until it penetrated enough. I haven't had those problems in a long time though.

You may also find that that leather won't take water very well which might make tooling it or molding it difficult.

I have read some folks here dip dye their their leather... If your work is going to be

all black it would probably turn out more even if you just dip the whole piece in and

not bother with daubing the color on. There are also some folks here that swear by

using their own 'homemade' vinegaroon....

So there are 2 good things to look up in the leatherworker.net search engine

(top right corner of the page) dyeing & vinegaroon

You also might ask at the store you got the leather - Why it doesn't take the dye evenly -

and next time you order - mention the trouble you are having now and they might be more careful

in picking out your next hide.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Thank you all very much! I've managed to get an effect I'm happy with thanks to all of you. :)

Also, next time... I will use search. Sorry. :|

Oh Good - I am so glad you got something to work.

Don't worry about not searching... it took me 3 or 4 months

before I realized the search engine was even there... and just how much

information is available...

There is sooooo much to learn and so much of it is right here :thumbsup:

You gotta try vinegaroon. A gallon of distilled white vinegar. Two steel wool pads. Put them into something you can cover and be able to dip holster, belt, etc. Do not make airtight. Some gas is produced by the contents. Takes a week and a half to two weeks. I know, I know. But you will have a dye that dyes almost instantly and all the way through. You canot scratch it off. Submerge the piece of leather and when the bubbles stop and the leather sinks,you are done. Let leather dry normally. And the good part, it will not dye the hands. Might get dingy looking but it washes off easily.

You can dye some imagination into leather. The corners, the bottom, the top. Guaranteed a straight line :).

If you are using the vinegaroon as suggested above, you need to make sure you are neutralizing the solution with a light wash of bakingsoda and water. And the vinegaroon is not a dye, it is called a reagent.

A lot has been written about Vinegaroon and I have saved a couple of Really Good links…

If you are interested in making it, there is a very good tutorial here for how to make Vinegaroon.

Vinegaroon tutorial

and these twoalso have some good information

Groon Smell

Vinagaroon Stinks!

There is A Lot of Really Good Information here.... and Also, while reading any old posts

about Vinegaroon, or anything really – I pay particular attention to anything

ChuckBurrows of WILD ROSE TRADING CO has to say...