immiketoo

Glass Slicker Pouch.

So, last week I carved an eagle head which started out as an exercise in finger cuts. I liked it so much I couldn't resist tooling it a little bit. Then, I decided I could do it better. That turned into another eagle that looked even better IMO. Yesterday, I got my new glass slicker from Barry King and I decided to make a pouch for it using my new eagle. I also used a new tools, my 8 SPI over stitch wheel to mark the stitches, my new Douglass tools awl and my old stitching horse. It's truly amazing how having the right tools for the job makes everything more enjoyable.

I realize that the slicker probably doesn't need a pouch, but if this were about NEED, many of us wouldn't be here :P

post-34726-0-89596800-1365846299_thumb.j

If I was wearing a hat my friend it would be off to you... Don't you just love turning a practice piece into something more than decorum

Thanks dude! I totally do, and I have to admit I'm pretty stoked about this one. It was like the old Recee's peanut butter cup commercials... You got chocolate in my peanut butter! You got peanut butter on my chocolate! Hey, wait a minute... :P

Edited by immiketoo

Mikey, that is sweet! I'm glad to see one of your beautiful pieces have a use. Cheryl

I really like the entire project. The tooling is great and the design of the pouch really compliments the eagle. I would guess you formed the pouch after tooling the eagle, right? If so it sure didn't upset the tooling any. Great job on the edges and stitching. First Class all the way around.

Thanks everyone! Bluesman, you're right. I wet formed after tooling and dye, so I was just careful about the eagle and sort of molded around him.

Great application

Glad you found some way to put that beautiful bird to use!

I realize that the slicker probably doesn't need a pouch, but if this were about NEED, many of us wouldn't be here :P

That is so true Mike

I love what you've done there, great work

Very nice case! Have you used the slicker yet? Curious as to how well you like using it. I don't have one.

Benlilly, I haven't used it yet. I wanted to use it to mold the case I made for it, but I needed it for wet molding! I can totally see how it will be nice for that though.

First of all, that's an outstanding job on the pouch, from the original tooling to the re-purposed slicker pouch. I would disagree a little with your statement that a slicker doesn't need a pouch. I think it really does.

The slicker is used on cased leather to "slick" it down and temper it. Any marks on the slicker will be permenently transferred to the leather. An unprotected slicker, even a glass one, can get nicked and dinged in a drawer so a pouch is an excellent idea. Mine's in a pouch, too.

My 2 cents...

Mike

First of all, that's an outstanding job on the pouch, from the original tooling to the re-purposed slicker pouch. I would disagree a little with your statement that a slicker doesn't need a pouch. I think it really does.

The slicker is used on cased leather to "slick" it down and temper it. Any marks on the slicker will be permenently transferred to the leather. An unprotected slicker, even a glass one, can get nicked and dinged in a drawer so a pouch is an excellent idea. Mine's in a pouch, too.

My 2 cents...

Mike

Agreed Mike, mine too! My 1st one ended up with a very tiny nick in it, almost undetectable with the naked eye but left a fine scratch line when using it, I just used to leave it on the bench when not in use & somehow something hit it. I managed to get the nick out with a bit of wet & dry but bought a new one anyway, its now a substitute.

Well dang! I stumbled onto something useful for a change! Sweet!

Very nice. I really like the way you did the background texture around the eagle's head. Also like the overall shape of the pouch, the way you did the bottom just gives it a really nice look.

Ed, thanks. The shape just screamed out at me. Do something different...so i did :P

Thank's everyone. This was a fun project.

Bad ass Mike!