ELeBlanc

Tippmann Boss Vs Singer Patcher

I was hoping someone could contrast these two machines. Where one would be good and the other wouldn't.

I'm planning on using one of them for bags (4-7 oz leather) but thats my plan now and who knows what I may be thinking of making two years from now.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I still have 2.5" size 3/0 Harness Needles in packs of 25 for less than anyone else. I just sold 750 needles (30 packs of 25) to someone who teaches hand stitching.

The Boss may have trouble sewing thin leather, or bag leather. If you plan on using thread smaller than #138 you will have problems on that machine. You would have to send your samples to Tippman and ask them to sew them on a Boss and mail them back to you..

If the Boss does sew this material, it will go a long way between bobbin changes.

The Patchers are top driven, in any direction, and can sew up to 1/4 inch of anything that the foot can grab ahold of. The bobbins are very small and are best used with #69 thread. Patchers are available in two arm lengths and two bobbin sizes (tiny and small). The maximum stitch length is 5/inch, but only at about 1/8 inch thickness. It tends to drop as the thickness increases. Older patchers, like the 100 year old model 29-4, may be totally shot regarding stitch length.

Thanks Wiz,

My confession: I've been intending to get back into leather work for some time now. When I was a teenager I apprenticed briefly with George Reeves (Western Mass and Martha's Vineyard) about 40 years ago. Over the last several years I've just been buying but not doing....

I now own 5 patchers - 2 x 29-4, 29k58 treadle, 29k58 motorized, 29k72 motorized and a Frobana missing a part.

It was much easier with a mentor.

Signed - Struggling in NYC

I was hoping someone could contrast these two machines. Where one would be good and the other wouldn't.

I'm planning on using one of them for bags (4-7 oz leather) but thats my plan now and who knows what I may be thinking of making two years from now.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I still have 2.5" size 3/0 Harness Needles in packs of 25 for less than anyone else. I just sold 750 needles (30 packs of 25) to someone who teaches hand stitching.

Neither machine would really be ideal for sewing 4-7oz bags. The best for this would be a medium-weight walking foot machine that can use up to 138/207 thread and sew up to 3/8' thick. Cylinder bed is preferable so you can sew into the inner contours of the bag and into tighter areas than a flatbed would allow.

Feel free to contact me with any more questions!

Ron