Hello forum members, this is my first post. First off thank you forum members for taking the time out of your busy day to help others!! l'm a beginner/hobbyist. Right now i'm making key chains & belts i just got the process of antiquing embossed belts down.-Tan kote then blk paste then tan kote the last 2 came out great!,....I have a couple rose embossed belt one is dyed black (didn't look good str-blk) and one that has to be dyed black. Lol .... Will the Tan Fiebings antique paste work on the black background? Will I get a decent contrast with the tan on black. Has anyone used an antique on black before? I have to purchase the tan antique and money is extremely tight for me that's why l'm asking?

Thanks, Mumbles

Hi and welcome to the forum :-)

The contrast will not show up enough, I've tried and was not happy about the result at all. It get's (in my book) a look of a dirty tan color at best.

What I did to get the pattern to show up on black was taking white acryllic paint and a painting medium/extender that lets the paint stay open longer (http://www.joann.com/americana-brush-n-blend-extender/prd35491/)...Then I carefully used it as an antique. Of course this could be done with any color.

Thanks a bunch Tina

I've used metallic pigment powders in tan kote to antique black leather. The contrast came out very well, and has a unique effect. The "antique" part is lighter than the black background, so I suppose you could call it a reverse-antique.