I recently ordered some Feibings white after being told by those at Tandy that no one sells white dye. I thought it was a new product or a great find, but when I tried to thin it with reducer it seemed to clump up. When I used it straight from the bottle it went on more like a paint than a dye. Can anyone help with this?

Good luck with that Randy. I don't know what that stuff is, but I would not call it dye. It goes on like water and takes many, many coats to get simulated white. To my knowledge, there is no such thing as white dye. There is a white shoe polish that nurses used to put on their shoes, but it rubs off in a short period of time. A few coats of thinned white acrylic paint is your best bet, just be sure to thin it first and let each coat dry.

Thanks Mike. Not what I wanted to hear, but I appreciate the info.

As far as I know, Fiebing's white is an acrylic paint. Even those bottles that say "Acrylic Dye" are just paint and not to be confused with an actual dye. You should be able to thin it with water and apply it that way, but it will never soak into the leather like a dye will.

The fieblings white is a strange hybrid from another planet. Doesn't thin well with anything, clean up is even worse especially if used mistakenly through an airbrush (damhikt).

As mentioned above it is a type of paint, not a dye. I would actually liken it to an exterior wood stain, like the new Tandy Pro Leather Colors, only difference is the fiebings won't penetrate at all and if layered on too thick or if applied in a single coat it will crack and peel pretty badly.

Long story short, I have a bottle of it, have tried various ways to use it and I can honestly say I hate the stuff. The fiebings gray is the same stuff by the way.

This project was made with the white acrylic dye and yes it is pretty thick stuff. It looks to me as if it is just regular acrylic paint. I was able to thin it enough to go through my airbrush with about a 25/75 ratio and required many many coats to get this good of coverage. As far as peeling goes, it might lol, I don't know it's only been sitting around for about a month untouched. I must admit that after using my airbrush for this project my airbrush hasn't worked very well since lol. I still need to get around to taking it apart :)

P2110032_zps6baca584.jpg

This project was made with the white acrylic dye and yes it is pretty thick stuff. It looks to me as if it is just regular acrylic paint. I was able to thin it enough to go through my airbrush with about a 25/75 ratio and required many many coats to get this good of coverage. As far as peeling goes, it might lol, I don't know it's only been sitting around for about a month untouched. I must admit that after using my airbrush for this project my airbrush hasn't worked very well since lol. I still need to get around to taking it apart :)

P2110032_zps6baca584.jpg

Sorry about that :) Site was acting funny and uploaded it twice.

Long story short, I have a bottle of it, have tried various ways to use it and I can honestly say I hate the stuff. The fiebings gray is the same stuff by the way.

I think I read that someone recently contacted Fiebing's about these colors and they've completely removed both from the market (Yes, they're that bad).

I got a nice gray though by thinning Royal Blue to about 25/75 :)

After struggling with white for over a year...I found the only thing that really works is white paint. After being almost driven to the point of insanity was Cova, I found Angelus. I've never had to dilute it, and just finely brush it on. The paint dries almost instantly, and is super flexible. This is a white wedding belt I did last year, and the customer still wears it to other fantasy events with no issues.

post-17044-0-86489500-1367689549_thumb.j

Cova colors and Fiebings white are not worthwhile, in my opinion. Fiebings white is no longer available, I believe.

Angelus has great paint products as well as Tarrago.

David, at turtlefeathers.com always seems to have a good supply of Angelus products, at reasonable prices.

manhattanwardrobesupply has the best price I have found for the Tarrago line. Their white is very good, as well as some of the other colors I have used in the past.

God Bless.

Ray