Sign in to follow this  
Jaymack

Feibing's Dye Reducer Substitute

I'm sure this has been addressed, but I can't find it with a search,. but is there a substitute to Fiebing's Leather Dye Reducer that I can get from walmart or Lowes? It smells like denatured alcohol.

Thanks

That's what I used (methylated spirits) over here, in Fiebing's Pro oil dye. Came out well, but don't over-dilute, and test small batches.

Thanks hump. I was in a jam on a project I have to finish for a charity event this weekend and I was out of reducer. I did a search on Bing and found my answer as well from this very website: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=26294

thats exactly what it is....I use the walmart stuff alcohol all the time...works fine....

I'm even cheaper and use plain old Isopropyl. Less expensive and leaves less fumes (doesn't bother me, but my wife suffers from migraines already).

Thanks for all the help guys. I was able to finish the projects that I need for the charity sporting clays shoot this week. I used denatured alcohol 1 part dye to 4 parts reducer and there wasn't enough difference to notice.

The Ruffed Grouse in the center wasn't done when I took the picture.

post-13092-0-04853400-1367882822_thumb.j

Edited by Jaymack

Just adding my 2 cents.

I purchased Mineral Spirits today to use with Fiebing's dyes. I did not find they mixed too well. I used a 1/1 ratio. It mixes better than water would, sure, but left alone for 2 minutes and it separates. It was hard to get a consistent reduced color onto the wool daubers. Sometimes I would get a lot of colour, sometimes a lot of spirits, leaving different results on the project.

Just adding my 2 cents.

I purchased Mineral Spirits today to use with Fiebing's dyes. I did not find they mixed too well.

Mineral Spirits and Denatured Alcohol are two COMPLETELY different products. Take a look here

http://news.thefinishingstore.com/?p=357