bruce johnson

Blanchard Plough Something - Need Help Iding

I got this a couple days ago and have never seen one like it before. Blanchard marked. It works like a plough gauge, but the blade comes down from the top and it runs over the leather. It looks like you could adjust the blade depth for a partial cut or drop further for a full thickness cut. Tor, Knut, and others - please help me out here! LOL.

Thanks,

Bruce

post-29-0-14178600-1367417835_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-38250500-1367417836_thumb.jpg

post-29-0-69914400-1367417837_thumb.jpg

What . . . the tool wizard is stumped? Oh, and . . . any chance you'll be at the Sheridan show?

I will be at Sheridan as an interested spectator.

Ive never seen anything like this before but could it possibly be to cut a stitch groove to sink stitches into? Like for roundings when the groove is closed over the stitching.

Hi, I'm from France and never saw anything like that.

At least it's not in the catalogue of blanchard by now !

Jax may be right...

I got this a couple days ago and have never seen one like it before. Blanchard marked. It works like a plough gauge, but the blade comes down from the top and it runs over the leather. It looks like you could adjust the blade depth for a partial cut or drop further for a full thickness cut. Tor, Knut, and others - please help me out here! LOL.

Thanks,

Bruce

Hello Bruce,

I did not see this one before now. I do not know how I could missed this interesting looking tool. I have never seen one before, thats for sure. Looks like a kind of channeler/ plane maybe related to a more miscellaneous leather trade. Blanchard made tools for many other trades, they still do. We can ask Vergez Blanchard what it is, he must have some kind of archive of their product. It cuts down into something thats for sure, where did you find this gem. Bruce are you on holiday nowadays or working.

Tor

Tor,

I am back at work for a few weeks, then another week off for the last of the year. I still have not found the exact purpose of this tool I sent pictures of it to Walter Roth a few days ago. Without seeing the pictures Walter thought it may be a tool for cutting slits with reins to make the center braided style of rein with the ends left intact. Here in the US they call that a "mystery braid". I have not heard back from Walter yet, but had a private email of his wonderful tools a few days ago.

Bruce

Tor,

I am back at work for a few weeks, then another week off for the last of the year. I still have not found the exact purpose of this tool I sent pictures of it to Walter Roth a few days ago. Without seeing the pictures Walter thought it may be a tool for cutting slits with reins to make the center braided style of rein with the ends left intact. Here in the US they call that a "mystery braid". I have not heard back from Walter yet, but had a private email of his wonderful tools a few days ago.

Bruce

Hi Bruce, The reason I asked was a small order I have with you, Its no hurry only want to make sure you remembered it. Just take your time with it.

It might be a braider's tool or for some kind of work like that. You would need both your hand for that job and a blade with guides attached to the work bench would work much better for that job ( just bought one from Ryan O Neil, on sale by the way. A strap splitter made of heavy cast steel with a blade and two brass guides, very cheap on EBay right now , about 35 $.)

Its strange however, Ive never seen it in any old French tool catalog ;and I looked true allot of those lately. I would remembered If I seen it before for sure. Thats why I mistake its related to something like a coach building or similar, even bookbinding. If its a saddler or harness tool somebody here would have recognized it. I am only guessing.

Tor

Woah...Bruce doesn't know about a tool. I'm sure its been keeping him up at night!

Not any more Mike. It is in the mail to a newer home.

Hi Bruce ................

I have the part refinishet the knife very nice and polished woo, now it's 101% sharp.

And I've tried it with thick leather of 4.5 mm and 2 mm thin leather and lo and behold it is simply a ................. Plough Gouge.

And it just works great.

We have all probably looked much too far away and not seen very obvious.

Of course, you can use the device only a simple "cut" for making a hidden seam, but additonally different and better and handier tools by Blanchard.

This works here as Plough but simple and amazingly good.

One can well lead the attack left, and it cuts through the leather completely without problems.

Also, it is not pinched or sheared off.

I have it on the plastic plate that used the knife is dull, but 100 years ago, so they took to Limewood ( Basswood ? ) Poplarwood or what the purpose indeed almost filled so well.

Greetings Walter

Edited by walter roth