Sign in to follow this  
chainedrose

After Using Braiding Soap

I had prepared braiding soap at home, substituting materials with all that is available here. i used Dove Soap, vegetable shortening.

2 months ago i had applied it on some black strands. however i could not complete the braiding due to work commitments. today when i saw the strands, there was white all over them. i immediately thought mildew, however when i rubbed the strands, it disappeared. a moist cloth was even better

was this just excessive braiding soap? or should i be worried about my substituted formula?

The white color might be from using the shortening rather than tallow. That and an excess of product on your strings while braiding. You can also use white saddle soap, or most any paste type leather conditioner for plaiting soap. Just try it on a piece prior to use to make sure it won't change the color.

Sorry I think I worded myself wrong there. The leather has not changed colour. There is just a white coloured paste like layer on top.

I did understand that the leather did not change color. I just put in that whatever product you use, if using a light color leather you might want to check and make sure the leather will not be darkened by the product you use.

i do test on a small corner. but i usually just apply the soap, wait for 5-10 minutes and then continue if there is no change.

what would be the ideal testing time?

I would just testfor color change myself, also. I think the problem is in using the vegetable shortening. Most plaiting soap is made from tallow. The shortening, when it gets cool and solidifies after application is probably what turns white.

I use Ray Holes Saddle Butter or RM Williams Saddle Dressing as plaiting soap on most of my leather projects. Make my own for rawhide. Try some product like these on the next one and see if you like it better.