mellykelly

Finishing Off

I'm very new at leatherwork and out of necessity need to make my own miniature pony halters as they are too difficult to find. This might be a stupid question but can someone please tell me how I am supposed to treat the underside of the leather to take that suadey feel out of it.

If I'm understanding your question right, it sounds like you have a really fleshy piece of leather (the flesh side is the underside). A lot of lower quality leathers get really stringy on the flesh. I grab my sharp knife and shave off as much of the big stuff as possible, then sand it down a bit by hand with some 220 grit or so. From there I wet it down with a sponge, grab my bone folder, and rub vigorously until it's nice and smooth. From there you can seal it with your topcoat if you desire. I have no experience with horse equipment though, so I'm not sure if that's something you'd want to do.

Thanks that's pretty much what I meant. It's just fluffy on the underside and while it doesn't have to be perfect like the top it needs to be smoother. I have bought a cow hide (not cheap) to use. Should I do the whole thing before I cut it or just as I make it up. Sorry to sound dense but there is very limited instruction in australia and I'm starting this from scratch.

Melly, . . . might just want to take the question down a few forum lines into the saddles and tack section.

Bunch of really good guys & gals there, . . . probably get a better answer quicker.

May God bless,

Dwight