I am making horse halters (new to leatherwork). Is hand stitching adequate or should I use a machine? If so does anyone have any suggestions as to what type ie walking foot v other.

Hand stitching is more than adequate, but it takes a whole heck of a lot longer than a machine.

I don't have enough for a machine that can handle leather, and my projects aren't big enough to really require the speed of a machine yet, so I can't help you in what machine you might want to look at.

How do you think halters were made for the several millenia between the domestication of the horse and the invention of the sewing machine? :-p

I would definitely handsew any horse gear, especially custom stuff.

Yes, it will take longer; both in terms of the actual sewing and learning how to sew (even machine sewing is not that easy!). The end result (at least in my humble opinion) will be much more pleasing to the eye if you handsew.

Also, with the saddler's stitch (the one with two needles) if one thread breaks in use (due to rubbing or other wear over time) the opposite one will still hold the pieces together and won't unravel like a lockstitch would.

Hope this helps! Good Luck with your projects!

Black Dogg

Hand stitching (done properly) will ALWAYS be stronger than a machine stitch. Not saying machine stitches are always weak, but they just don't lock the way a saddle stitch does.

If your making them to sell get a machine especially if double stitching. When you have to go through three thickness's your going to wish you had a machine. I use a left toe foot all the time. Anybody can sew by hand but very are any good at it. Your going to need to get a machine that will sew at least 3/4 inch thickness.

Somebody said the thread will unravel if a stitch breaks using a machine. NOT TRUE !! If that was the case their would be a lot of naked people walking around every day of the world if that was true. How many shirts have had that fell about because a stitch broke ? I'm betting none.

Halters were sewn slowly before machines.

Thanks all for your feedback. Now another question. Is it better to glue pieces together before sewing (halters etc). I am having all sorts of trouble keeping it all together and lined up!!

I glue leather halters, nylon i hold and sew.

I glue my double layer belts together before stitching them

I used to be on the "handsewing is better than machine sewing" bandwagon right up till the day I got a machine. It just isn't feasible unless you're making very few items and I have yet to have anything machine stitched come undone, machines make a lock stitch that are very strong and if you've ever tried to undo a row of stitching you'll see it doesn't just pull out. We get shoes in all the time with the stitched on soles with the threads completely worn off and the stitch is still holding because of the lock is holding it in. A chain stitch will pull out pretty easy but that doesn't really apply here. A machine stitch also looks fine as long as the machine is right for the job and is adjusted properly. Someone really good at handsewing can make a nice looking stitch but really most customers won't be able to tell the difference and if someone is not good at handsewing it'll look worse than a machine.