NewYorkerInSydney

Rubbery Edge Dressing/coating

Hi folks,

I often use chrome tan leather. When it comes time to make the sides look nice its challenging. Ive used Fiebings Edge Kote and Dura Edge and they still dry a bit stiff. I've seen many fine bags, wallets, etc with a rubbery kind of edge dressing. Does anyone know where I might be able to find something like it or something better than what Im using right now? Thanking you in advance.

Kind regards,

Nyis

I have been wondering the same thing Nyis! Have you heard any suggestions from anyone?

We stock an Italian line of Edge Paints, a flexible latex base, in various colors both Glossy & Matte Finish.

I would recommend the thicker viscosity PLUS paints for soft leathers.

Edge Paint Color Chart

- Dan Naegle

Campbell-Randall Machinery

That rubbery stuff is done with a special machine that heats it up and applies it, it isn't a cheap endevour at all. We do a lot of repair work and it would be nice to be able to match the finish but not for that cost. I'd be interested in trying those edge paints from Campbell-Randall, that may be close enough.

like billymac814 pointed out, the high-end stuff is applied via a heated edge tool which was discussed in this thread. I know a source for the edge paint but it's overseas and only sold in large containers. If you'd be interested in doing a group buy with me and a few other people, please send me a PM, so shipping costs can be split and the large containers can be split into smaller sizes for us small craftsmen!

If you use the PLUS paint, you can get a good smooth finish (with a burnish or glaze process between applications), in just two coats.

Craft Sha Leathercraft Leather Edge Dye Dressing Black Gloss Lacquer Finish from Goodsjapan works pretty well.

could you please describe how exactly do you use it? applying steps and etc.

pictures are welcome

I've tried this stuff, but made a lot of layers - and now I see that rubber goes off the leather, which I assume because of 'layering'

how to use it properly?