I'am in the market for a cylinder machine and don't want to spend more than $1200 $1500 at the most. Im looking for used because I can't afford new. I have a Reliable 8600b that I use now. I make tote bags ranging from 3-5 oz thick, and it's a pain in the ass because I know I need a cylinder machine. I originally was looking at The Boss by Tippmann because it's small and compact. I understand that it is slow and manual and I am willing to deal with that. I also looked at a Cowboy CB227R. I need some feedback on what other people use and if I'm completely wrong with the types of machines I'm looking at. I have heard some awful reviews about the boss but I have also heard some excellent reviews. I am pretty sure I need it to be a walking foot though, right? Please, feedback is greatly appreciated !!

Here is a link so you can see what I sew and tell me if Im on the right track with my search...

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LocknKeyLeathers?ref=si_shop

I'm loving my Techsew 2700. I use my Tipmann Boss for heavy stuff and the 2700 for most everything else. The 2700 is fast as it is electric. The Boss is like handstitching without killing your hands. (Although I do dare anyone to arm wrestle with a Tipmann owner).

The CB227R or Techsew 2700 are similar machines, with similar capabilities. They use the standard type 135x16 leather point, or 135x17 round point needles, have compound feed, handle #138 thread and sew up to 3/8 inch of leather. They are usually sold with very easily controlled servo motors.

I believe that these two machines are probably within your price range. You'll need a couple hundred more for shipping, needles, bobbins, thread and oil

I'am in the market for a cylinder machine and don't want to spend more than $1200 $1500 at the most. Im looking for used because I can't afford new. I have a Reliable 8600b that I use now. I make tote bags ranging from 3-5 oz thick, and it's a pain in the ass because I know I need a cylinder machine. I originally was looking at The Boss by Tippmann because it's small and compact. I understand that it is slow and manual and I am willing to deal with that. I also looked at a Cowboy CB227R. I need some feedback on what other people use and if I'm completely wrong with the types of machines I'm looking at. I have heard some awful reviews about the boss but I have also heard some excellent reviews. I am pretty sure I need it to be a walking foot though, right? Please, feedback is greatly appreciated !!

Here is a link so you can see what I sew and tell me if Im on the right track with my search...

https://www.etsy.com...ers?ref=si_shop

Hi Cmore,

The Cowboy Cowboy CB227R is the right machine class for your kind of work. The Techsew 2700 looks like the same machine too. I use a Pfaff 345 (triple feed) who are similar to these two for work like that and a 441 for heavier stuff.

I do not think the Boss will be a good choice for you, unless you are planning to use very thick thread. A triple feed cylinder bed like the CB 227R, my Pfaff or equivalent is what most bag makers use all around the world. Both Techsew and Cowboy dealers are member of this community. Both machines are Chinese clones built strong enough for a leather shop. For factory use eight- seven a original German or Japanese machine might be a better choice. Based on the hours of use in a saddler/leather work shop, a clone will be the most economical choice.

A other advantage is the support, the dealers are both members here and are frequently helping others in this forum. The Cowboy CB227R ( The Techsew too, I guess) uses the same foot as the Singer 111W. Therefore, feet's and attachments are readily available to affordable prices. The last thing is very important, if you cannot find feet's for a machine its not very useful. Make sure your machine comes with a servo motor, unless you are a pro at controlling a Clutch motor you will need it. Both machines does, and the one on the Cowboy gets good feedback in this forum.

Good luck

Tor

Edited by Trox

If you can think a little bigger, there is a Ludwig 205-370 (like the Adler) in Marketplace for $1200. These are good machines, the arm is a little bigger around but not much more than the 227. They can be adjusted to sew small thread like 69, but really are better for 138 and up.

Art

Im loving all the feedback! This site is amazing... I'll check out the ludwig. I'm so excited I've needed one of these for a while.

If you can think a little bigger, there is a Ludwig 205-370 (like the Adler) in Marketplace for $1200. These are good machines, the arm is a little bigger around but not much more than the 227. They can be adjusted to sew small thread like 69, but really are better for 138 and up.

Art

my thoughts also,,,,,,,,, a good option for product growth

I found a low use, consew 227r and added a cobra speed reducer and servo motor

and VERY happy with the end results and did it all for under a $1000

Art

That a very good buy, If I was in a need of a heavy stitcher I would happily pay the shipping to Norway for that.

There was no price on it, these costs much more that the 441 clone new, Around 3500$ I think.