Hi everyone! I'm hoping someone can help me with my dilemma.

I have a logo that I want to emboss on my leather bags. I've done a bunch of research and it seems like an arbor press and brass plate are the way to go in veg tanned leather, BUT i use chromium dyed leather! I'm wondering if someone can give me advice here. Will an arbor press work on this soft leather? If so, do I need a 1 ton or 2 ton? And any recommendations on what type of stamp to get- do i need a brass one? or I've seen some people who are making them out of a durable plastic now for cheap...

See the attached picture for an example of what I'm looking for!

Thanks a bunch everyone! I'm so glad this website exsits, I can't tell ya'll how often I come here for guidance!

Erinbrand.jpg

If the stamp itself didn't work you can brand it if you use a metal stamp.

A one ton would be enough for that.

I have a fairly large logo stamp. It is magnesium a good inch thick. I don't think you are going to have much luck with the delrin etc.on chrome tanned. I don't have one so I do not know for sure. I do know that mine in a two ton arbor press is about right. It takes all the pressure you can muster with your arm to make a good impression in chrome tanned.

I have a large hot press. I put my logo stamp in it, take the temperature to about 240 degrees Fahrenheit, place the leather on top of something rigid, pick up the stamp with a very good pair of heavy leather gloves, place it into the spot you want. Close the press for about one minute. Voila! there is your imprint.

ferg

50 Years Leather, thanks for your advice! What brand of "hot press" do you have? Ive actually just ordered my magnesium plate, but have not bought my press yet.... Was looking at the 1 ton arbor but not sure if that's enough pressure or not. And then more research revealed I should look into heal seal or foil stamp presses, but havent had much luck online researching those...

Thanks again!

Erin

Very late to the game here, but I hope this is helpful to someone even if you figured your process out.

Chrome stamps just fine on a 2 ton arbor press. I'm attaching some test marks made on several Horween Chromexcel tannages.

I laser cut my marks and make jigs with alignment tabs so the placement is perfect and, as importantly, the stamp is held perfectly square to the grain so the impression is uniform. Super quick and easy. See attached.

Somewhat unrelated: some people drill their arbor presses so they can more permanently attach their marks. I use several on each piece, so this is the most effective solution. Your mileage may vary, and I know not everyone has access to a laser cutter.

post-45824-0-69303200-1406308041_thumb.j

post-45824-0-74389500-1406308042_thumb.j

post-45824-0-29051200-1406308044_thumb.j

post-45824-0-20948300-1406308045_thumb.j

post-45824-0-25388700-1406308046_thumb.j

Get a hot foil machine and a custom die made for it.