HellcatLeathers

Patent Infringement: Shotgun Concho Dog Collar

Is this jackleg selling his stuff somewhere? Etsy or otherwise? Or did he just get the patent to irritate and intimidate people?

I am going to make some this weekend.............not letting you guys have all the fun!!

and I will make him come pick up his royalty check in person................my royal foot up his ass!!!

:rofl: I just went looking for the like button. Laughing smiley will have to do.

WOW !!!!

Who opened this guys door?

His design is much different than would be if one used the conchos, riveted tyrpe or screw back, and is plain if you take a look at the sketch. His apparently are something that appears to be the same size as the shell concho.

Also, it does not appear that he fully described the sewing, attaching methods in the description. If his is sewn and someone does the same, does that mean that anyone making a dog collar that is sewn is in violation of his patent?

ALL A BUNCH OF HOOKEY, I BELIEVE. Either that or some additional education would be of value.

Keep up what you are doing and let him hire someone to pursue the issue. Wish these types didn't exist but more seem to crawl out of the worm hole every day. lol.\\

God Bless.

Personally I believe the best way to deal with this guy is to post his email address here. We will all be happy to let him know what we think of his patent.

I agree!!! Let's flood this guys inbox with junk! Put him on EVERY spam website/newsletter available.

I figure along with each a mail we can send him a picture of an item (band) with shot shell concho. If you don't have an item you have made with shell conchos go on the internet and send him a picture of something being offered. In addition to what Chuck found I did a search of shotgun concho, shotshell concho, shot shell concho and found close to a hundred offerings of belts, gun belts, wrist bands, collars and suspenders with shot shell conchos.

:cheers: i GUESS THIS ONE IS CLOSE CYBER..... :deadsubject:

keeping an eye on this thread!

Hellcat Leathers:

What you need to do is discuss the matter with an attorney who works in the intellectual property (IP) arena. You want a copy of the "prosecution history." This is the meat of the matter of the patent. The summary is often inadequate and misinterpreted. I've even had IP attorneys go off half-cocked by just reviewing the summary. Their tune changed very quickly after they were able to review the prosecution history of the patent. Regardless, take the time to research the claim made by this person so you have a firm foundation from which to proceed. Best of luck to you.

I guess I would tell him that you want a letter in the mail from his attorney on a letterhead explaining this. Time to cut him out of the picture.

That was exactly my thought. This is a good way to distinguish a scam from a legitimate claim. If he's hesitating to get an attorney involved, it's probably because he knows he has no case, and no reputable attorney would comply.

How someone could get a patent for something so vague and undefined? That's like getting a patent on a nail or a button. I thought you had to define the object being patented pretty specifically, with exact dimensions, exact function, etc., not just "any type of band that has bullet cartridge elements on it".

Someone at the patent office should be shot.

I started selling holsters on ebay back around 2000, and sence then I've had every kind of scammer you can think of come at me.

My favorite was the Better Business Bureau settelment that some fool thought I would pay.

Edited by PappyUSA

Unless the person actually pays a lawyer to file a case of copyright infringement against you, all he can do is use his big mouth (or fingers to type) and harass you. If he keeps doing so, you might want to even file a police report for harassment ;-)

For get about it, He has you on the run. Guy is getting his thrills responding By you responding to him. If you have not gotten a formal letter. It 's a sham. This maybe a good situation of "Stalking" There's is a lot of possible infringements around. Those are the big Guys. Just do what you do. There is a thing of a hook and he is setting it. possible $$$. That's it. Do keep a record of e-mails and bring donuts to your work area for support.

If he keeps doing so, you might want to even file a police report for harassment ;-)

That's the way to go.I think you are giving him too much attention.

I can't believe somebody has a patent on a "Band with spaced bullet cartridge elements"... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Edited by LeatherLegion

If I worked in a law firm I would definitely ask the question to be sure, just curious, but why have you not done that yet?

Attorneys aren't free, even when you work with them. I did ask for a reference for a patent attorney, specifically...just haven't heard back yet.

ADMIN: Is there a place available where we can take this thread offline? My neighborhood forum has a thread called "The Insiderdome" that people have to request access to and comments in it are offline and not viewable to non-members nor the internet. I would like to speak more freely and put in what I really think, but I am keeping this to facts and professionalism as it is viewable on the internet.

Anyone who would like to discuss more via email, feel free to email me at: hellcatleathers@gmail.com or info@hellcatleathers.com

With that being said. I found Adam Benjamin's Facebook page. I can't post a link here now (FB is blocked here) but I can tell you it is "GRIZZLY COLLARS" and the profile pic is a Rottweiler dog with a collar. He has 10 pics posted and his collars look nothing like my one collar did. Will try and post this evening when I get home. His email is: grizzlycollars@yahoo.com

I can't find any other website or online store. No Etsy store either.

By the way, I would like to thank each and every one of you for your thoughts, opinions and advice on this matter. I have never experienced such a community as I have on this site...it's nice for someone to have your back. :) Thank y'all! :banana:

Oh, and by the way, I have not responded to him since he threatened me with his attorney. The funny thing is, he obviously didn't even read my previous email because I said the 1 collar I had made, which I since removed from my Etsy store, so I'm not in violation of anything.

Anyone who would like to discuss more via email, feel free to email me at: hellcatleathers@gmail.com or info@hellcatleathers.com

PM me any info you have and I'll see if I can gather any further information. I tried searching FB for anything with "Grizzly Collars" and came up with nothing. It was small print, but I could have sworn his patent showed a listing to an etsy store. I could be wrong though.

I just did some more searching and Google provides a better view of the patent information for anybody interested in gathering evidence :)

http://www.google.com/patents/USD677191#npl-citations

I did a few minutes of searching and found these...

Mind you, they may, or may not actually be the same person referenced above.

I found nothing useful search with "Grizzly Collars"

USPTO <-- patent information

Wyoming Inventors <-- patent information

MyLife.com <--- a people search for the same same, city, and state listed in the patent information

Etsy.com <-- a very empty etsy page..

Change.org <-- some petition he signed

This is all public information and was found with a simple search.

Hey everyone the Shotgun Conchs are on sale at Tandys this month just got an email....just thought I would mention :Newsicon: :rofl:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/7403-00.aspx?tcd=13-E17TEM

Edited by RMB Custom Leather

I just saw the email as well and I did have a good laugh. Didn't the poster say they contacted TandY?

LOL....OMG....if Tandy just put the conchos on sale for me, I will just crack up! Awesome! Let's all buy some and make some hatbands, belts, wristcuffs and dog collars!!!! WOOHOO!

I'm really surprised that the patent was granted, to be honest. I don't see how it is a appreciably new design idea worthy or a patent? Especially since there were people who used shot shotgun shells on there belts long before there were the commercially made conchos. Saw a lot of them in the 80s and 90s--belts, mostly, but the odd gun sling or whatnot. The "conchos" usually had rivets or screws soldered onto the base of real, fired shells to make the elements. Anyway, there are a lot of people out there who were using shell ends or shotgun shell conchos on dog collars before the date on the patent. I did a quick rummage around the web and found you some links.

Shotgun shell collars

2011 (predating patent)

http://doberman-chat.com/community/index.php?threads/just-a-couple-new-collar-pics.8996/

http://www.etsy.com/listing/33696422/custom-dog-collar-shotgun-shells-large

http://doberman-chat.com/community/index.php?threads/sorry-gotta-brag-true-collars.3721/

http://www.etsy.com/listing/32134392/shotgun-shell-studded-dog-collar-for

http://www.supercoolpets.com/archives/2007/12/shotshell_dog_collar_and_lead.php

Other shot-gun like elements on straps --2009

http://www.etsy.com/transaction/16251896

http://www.etsy.com/transaction/22383967