Hi folks, a few of you have been asking about how I sharpen and polish my awls.

This is a very condensed look at the process involved.

I'm not a sharpening expert by any stretch, but it gives you a basic idea of how to achieve a good working sharp tool to complement the stitching skills you have.

Regards

Nige.

Would you advise using an oil at the same time? Sorry, couldn't watch all the vid so might have missed this!

Excellent point! Yes, the stone is oiled but I made no mention of it in the video, whilst you can use the stone dry, the oil will gather the filings.

An awl is not big enough to generate slurry which assists in polishing on fine stones so here it's not vital.

I use no oil on the ceramic stone.

Cheers for the question.

Nige

Thanks Nigel, I've not seen the video yet (watching it tonight when I get home) but I;m sure it's excellent as your other stuff is.

What would also be helpful would be the sharpening of other tools, Hole Punches, Thong cutters etc (unless you have them already in this one).

Thanks Nigel, I've not seen the video yet (watching it tonight when I get home) but I;m sure it's excellent as your other stuff is.

What would also be helpful would be the sharpening of other tools, Hole Punches, Thong cutters etc (unless you have them already in this one).

I can have a go Alan, like I explain in the video, I'm no expert on sharpening. My skills are born out of necessity.

As I understand with the hole punches, there need to be machine sharpened to maintain the angle and consistency.

I send mine back to Dixon's for this.

As for the thong cutters, they are much like a small knife and they would be sharpened the same to deal with the filament and then stropped.

I know a chap on here, Ian, he is far more knowledgable than I when it comes to the right stone for the steel you're working.

I shall drop him a line and see what he says.

Whilst I will be happy to help, the last thing I want to do is to teach bad habits.

Nige

Edited by Dangerous Beans

I can have a go Alan, like I explain in the video, I'm no expert on sharpening. My skills are born out of necessity.

As I understand with the hole punches, there need to be machine sharpened to maintain the angle and consistency.

I send mine back to Dixon's for this.

As for the thong cutters, they are much like a small knife and they would be sharpened the same to deal with the filament and then stropped.

I know a chap on here, Ian, he is far more knowledgable than I when it comes to the right stone for the steel you're working.

I shall drop him a line and see what he says.

Whilst I will be happy to help, the last thing I want to do is to teach bad habits.

Nige

Thanks Nige, When you say dixons do you mean this website:

http://www.josephdixon.co.uk/

Yes I do, they offer a full after sales sharpening service for all their tools.

Just a short drive for me so very convenient!

Nige, ALL of your videos are so helpful! I have to wait until I get the funds to grab some good stones for sharpening, but used some sandpaper I have, and got the awl MUCH closer to "sharp and polished". Just tried it on several different pieces of leather - up to about 3/8" total thickness - and it is amazing what a difference it makes!

Again, thanks for all the info you have given us!

Excellent video. Thanks for posting it. I can see that I will have to spend a good deal of this weekend sharpening my awls.

Excellent video. Thanks for posting it. I can see that I will have to spend a good deal of this weekend sharpening my awls.

I've sharpen my first awl while watching this video, and as Nige mentions do it for 2 hours, so put some time aside to do it... After watching the video you still have another 1 hr 40 mins sharpening... So spend this time watching his other excellent videos - saddle stitch etc. you will watch these more than once - I think I've watched them 3 times now and not even done a stitch yet.

But one the 2 hrs were up sharpening - my awl was much better and glided through 4mm of leather as a hot knife though butter. Nice!

Nige - I just received an order of two diamond awls this week, and this video has been a great help in preparing them for the work ahead. Thank you.

Randy