Hi, I am looking to buy an industrial walking foot sewing machine for sewing leather bags and have a question.

Some of the machines I have looked at from Craigslist don't seem to have the knob (or slider) with which one usually use to regulate the stitch length.

*I tested one machine that did not have the knob but you could still regulate the stitch length by pressing down a button on the machine bed and then turning the hand wheel a certain way....the button was hard for me to push down and I could never get the thing to work...so..

My question is: "If I DON'T see a knob or slider, can I assume that the machine way of adjusting the stitch length is the method that I described above*? i.e.. Could there be a dial or slider located elsewhere on the machine (not visible from a frontal shot) that would function similarly as a knob or slider that is normally in the front? What I am trying to say is that I would *not* want to buy a machine if it doesn't have an easy and straightforward way to adjust the stitch length, and by that I mean, just turn the knob left or right. (Or slide the slider up or down.)

I've attached a pic of a Juki LU-562, which does NOT seem to have the knob or slider:

post-41784-0-04103300-1368460006_thumb.j

And here's a Singer 331k104 which DOES have the knob.

post-41784-0-79729400-1368460290_thumb.j

Thanks for any knowledge anyone can give.

StitchlengthLU-562.jpg

See attached. This image above is very common across a large variety of machine makes and models, too many to list. Others, as you mention have the stitch length dial. Others, to add to this, have a stitch length regulator built into the reverse/backtack lever, such as an Adler 267 or Pfaff 1245, or older Consew 206RB-1, -2 models.

Thanks Gregg. That's good information.

If you buy a modern/current walking foot machine, it will have either a rotary stitch length knob, with click detentes, or a a single lift/lower lever that controls both direction and stitch length. The Consew 206RB-5, Chandler 406RB and Juki DNU-1541 all have a rotary dial and a press down reverse lever, plus large bobbins.

I have another system on the long body Singer 139 I recently bought. It has a 1" diameter knob protruding from inside the end of the hand-wheel. Turning the small knob clockwise shortens the stitches, while turning it anti-clockwise lengthens them.

Hi Wizcrafts,

Thanks for the info! Good to know about the Singer 139's method of adjusting stitch length. Who would've thunk? :)

Regarding the three models you mentioned:

Consew 206RB-5

Chandler 406RB

Juki DNU-1541

Do you feel one way another about any of them, or are they pretty comparable? (For sewing leather/cordura/vinyl). I see some Jukis and Consews for sale on Craigslist and ebay, but haven't seen much of Chandler brand machines.

Thank you.

If the machines are recent models and have not been rode hard and put up wet, any of those 3 will serve you well.

Ok. Thanks. :)